Chisvo was married to Priscilla and the couple had three children.
Chisvo went into music as a young boy of 6 or 7 years old. He was passionate about playing mbira and was taught by his older brothers to play the instrument. During his days at Shingirayi Primary school in Mbare, he honed his skills by playing drums for the school’s traditional dance group and then took to practicing on his own. His prowess led him to join a traditional group called Mhuri YaMatari. The group was led by Joseph Matari. Together with the group, Chisvo made his debut international tour when the group toured Europe in 1983.
Chisvo joined Ilanga at the formation of the group in 1989. Together with Charles Mangena played the percussion that gave the band a peculiar sound the music listeners could easily identify.
- Mbira Brothers
During the 1980s, Chisvo teamed up with the late Devera Ngwena drummer Naison Kabanda and formed Mbira Brothers. The group went to record the song Tamba Wakachenjera. The group also toured Europe where they received rave reviews for their performance. This opened new opportunities for Chisvo who instantly found himself invited to join Coco Zambezi together with Oliver Mtukudzi’s former band member Kenny Neshamba.
At the time of his death Chisvo was playing with Victor Kunonga's band Peace.
In 2009 he launched his solo career with the release of his debut album Famba Pore Pore with Sheer Music. The eleven track album some of the country's best musicians such as Oliver Mtukudzi, Victor Kunonga, Chiwoniso Maraire and Willom Tight.
Chisvo died on 13 July 2011. He succumbed to diabetes after struggling with it for a while.
- Fred Zindi, Adam Chisvo will be sadly missed, 'Herald', Published: 11 Jul 2011, Retrieved: 14 May 2014
- Mbira folk fusion Adam Chisvo, 'Mukuru', Published: ND, Retrieved: 14 May 2014
- Fred Zindi, The magic behind Ilanga, 'Herald', Retrieved: 27 Feb 2012, Retrieved: 14 May 2014
- Wonder Guchu, Adam Chisvo's shadow will hang longer, 'Intimate Moments With Zim Musicians', Published: 14 Sep 2011, Retrieved: 14 May 2014
- VICTOR KUNONGA TO FEATURE AT FUNCTION PAYING TRIBUTE TO ADAM CHISVO, 'Wunako', Published: ND, Retrieved: 14 May 2014