This is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
August 13, 1978
|Education||Mhali Primary School|
|Notable work(s)||Played for and Captained the Zimbabwe National Soccer Team|
|Children||Colines, Benjani Junior, Belle and Tiyezhe|
Benjani "Undertaker" Mwaruwari is a Zimbabwean born footballer. He has played for various clubs in Europe for clubs such as Auxerre of France and Manchester City of England. He also had an outstanding career with the Zimbabwe National Soccer Team known as the Warriors.
Benjani started his football career at Young Blood, then joined Highlanders Football Club juniors before moving to Lulu Rovers Football Club and eventually Air Zimbabwe Jets. He got his big break when he signed for Jomo Cosmos of South Africa. Benjani did not play long for Cosmos as he made a move to join Grasshoppers Zurich in Switzerland. From then on Benjani played for many other clubs around Europe such as Manchester City and Auxerre. He also had a very impressive international career with the warriors scoring goals. One of his career highlights was when he scored one of the goals at the Africa Cup Of Nations against Ghana. Mwaruwari was also captain of the warriors up to the time that he retired. In total Benjani has 44 caps with the national team scoring 22 goals in the process. When Mwaruwari stopped playing in England, he came to South Africa where he wound up his football career. He has played along some of the best footballers to play the game of football, the list includes Nwanku Kanu, Robinho, Pablo Zabaleta, Vincent Kompany, Sol Campbell, Djibril Cisse and Kalilou Fadiga.
Premier Soccer League Player of the year (South Africa 2001)
On 25 September 2002, Benjani became the first Zimbabwean to score a goal in the UEFA Champions League.
Clubs Played for
- AJ Auxerre FC
- Manchester City FC
- Portsmouth FC
- Jomo Cosmos FC
- Highlanders Football Club
- Blackburn Rovers FC
- Sunderland FC
- Bidvest Wits
Latest Articles Created on Pindula
- Zimbabwe 2016 Olympic Team
- Josiah Hungwe
- Gunners Football Club
- Monomutapa United Football Club
- Chengeto Brown
- Shingisai Suluma
- Ritesh Anand
- Chamu Chiwanza
- Timothy Hogo
- Benjani Mwaruwari, family and football, Bulawayo 24News, Published: April 6, 2013, Retrieved: February 13, 2015
- The Truth About: Benjani Mwaruwari, New Zimbabwe, Published: July 29, 2009, Retrieved: February 13, 2015
- BENJANI MWARUWARI, ZimLegends, Published: No Date Given, Retrieved: February 13, 2015
- Michael Madyira Benjani revisits England days, The Standard, Published: August 31, 2014, Retrieved: February 13, 2015
- Enock Muchinjo Which Zimbos have played in the Uefa Champions League?, Daily News, Published: May 7, 2014, Retrieved: February 16, 2015