This is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
November 19, 1989
|Years active||2009 February to present|
|Notable work(s)||WBC defending champion|
Charles Manyuchi is a Zimbabwean professional boxer who is the reigning World Boxing Council champion and one of the most talented boxing icons to have been produced in Zimbabwe. He is also the reigning Sportsperson of the Year after having won the award in recognition to his exploits during 2014.
Charles Manyuchi announced his entry into the boxing arena in 2009, and has gone on to enjoy a lot of success in his career. Although there had been concerns that Manyuchi was not fit to contest for the WBC title, the boxer has managed to surprise many people due to his ability to compete at a higher level.
In 2013, Charles managed to overcome his Ghanaian opponent Isaac Sowah in Lusaka Zambia to clinch the African Boxing Union Title. His victory silenced his Ghanaian opponent who had made pronouncements that he was far better than Manyuchi and would defeat him very quickly as he was too good for the Zimbabwean. Prior to Manyuchi overcoming his Ghanaian opponent, he had dispatched his opponent Patrice Sou Toké of Burkina Faso to claim the title. Manyuchi also fought against Patrick Allotey of Ghana and managed to defeat him through a knockout to claim the WBC welterweight belt. Considering his age, Manyuchi has surprised many due to his ability to stay focussed in the ring while also staying very disciplined throughout his bouts. After having successfully defeated the Ghanaian to land the WBC Title, Manyuchi was given an opponent from Colombia who had been already named favourite prior to the fight. Prior to his fight with the Columbian, Manyuchi had 14 wins, two losses and one drawn match in his last 17 contests whilst Navarro had 17 wins and four losses in 21 fights.
He managed to handle himself well in the match which saw him beating his Columbian opponent into submission and successfully defend his WBC title. It was reported that Manyuchi was very aggressive in this particular match which saw him attacking his Columbian opponent right from the first bout. By the time the they reached the second round break, Manyuchi's opponent was withdrawn from further participation after he seemed incapacitated to continue with the fight as he was seen spitting blood. It was said that the spectators were visibly disappointed since they were not anticipating a premature conclusion to the fight. Manyuchi's triumph over his Columbian counterpart was made more impressive by the fact that his opponent in terms of ranking was considered much better. Manyuchi went on to retain his title in 2015 against Gianculla Frezza of Italy who he beat into submission. There had been attempts to demoralise Manyuchi by stopping and pausing his entrance song but he nonetheless managed to put up an outstanding performance to emerge victorious.
Phelekezela Mphoko presented him with a diplomatic passport and US$5,000 ahead of his defense title fight against Damien Martin of France at the Harare International Conference Centre on September 30 2016.
In May 2016, Manyuchi defeated Russia’s Dmitry Mikhaylenko in Russia to become the WBC welterweight silver champion.
- World Boxing Council Welterweight Champion - Two-time consecutive winner
- Sportsperson of the year 2014
- Sportsman of the year 2014
- African Boxing Union Title
- Nominated for African Union Sports Council Awards Sportsman of the Year.
Manyuchi has been criticised by certain sections of the supporters who argued that his behaviour of acting like a clown during bouts was unbecoming of a professional boxer but Manyuchi insisted that there was nothing wrong with his style.
Use of Zambia as base
Manyuchi uses Zambia as his training base and has claimed that despite having been approached by the Zambian government with an offer to become an honorary citizen, he still remains Zimbabwean.
Charles Manyuchis was the only boxer as of 2015 to have defeated Ghanaian boxer Patrick Allotey in the latter's professional career
Latest Articles Created on Pindula
- Fani Munengami
- Demetria Hamandishe
- Godfatha Templeman
- Perence Shiri
- Tilda Moyo
- Phathisani Sibanda
- Yvonne Mangunda
- Frederick Mutanda
- Otis Fraser
- Howard Musonza
- MICHAEL MADYIRA, Manyuchi to quit boxing, Standard, Published: 4 Jan 2015, Retrieved: 23 Jul 2015
- Sukoluhle Mthethwa Manyuchi defends ABU title, Southern Eye, Retrieved: January 20, 2015.
- Farai Machamire Charles Manyuchi warned, Daily News, Published: November 17, 2014, Retrieved: January 20, 2015
- [Gilbert Munetsi Manyuchi retains title, The Herald, Published: November 24, 2014, Retrieved: January 20, 2014
- Gilbert Munetsi Unstoppable Charles Champion retains WBC title, Published: July 20, 2015, Retrieved: July 21, 2015
- Lovejoy Mutongwiza, Manyuchi honoured, 263Chat, published: September 2, 2016, retrieved: September 7, 2016
- ,[ https://www.dailynews.co.zw/articles/2016/06/10/manyuchi-coventry-nominated-for-ausc-awards Manyuchi, Coventry nominated for AUSC awards], Daily News, published: June 10, 2016, retrieved: June 10, 2016
- Ranson Madzamba, Manyuchi defends base, Herald, Published: July 29, 2015, Retrieved: July 29, 2015