|Church||United Family International Church (UFIC) Ministries|
|Birth name||Shingirai Chirume|
December 25, 1977|
Muzarabani in Mashonaland Central Province
|Parents||Lilian Makandiwa (Mother)|
|Children||(2) Emmanuel Jr, Victor|
|Occupation||Senior Pastor and Prophet|
Emmanuel Makandiwa is a popular self proclaimed prophet who founded an interdenominational church in 2008 which later became a fully functional church in 2010. He was formerly pastor in the Apostolic Faith Mission in Zimbabwe (AFM) Church. Makandiwa has been in the media limelight with his controversial miracles ranging from manhood enlargement to changing people's HIV statuses as well as causing the birth of baby three day old pregnancy. He became the first person to fill up the National Sports Stadium in April 2011.
- 1 Background
- 2 Career as a Pastor
- 3 Departure from AFM
- 4 Controversial Miracles
- 5 Corruption Allegations
- 6 Makandiwa and Politics
- 7 Mass Wedding Ceremony
- 8 Accusations of being Makandiwa a fake prophet
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Prophet Makandiwa Sermon Videos
- 11 Business Interests
- 12 Philanthropic Activities
- 13 Brand Makandiwa Launch
- 14 Latest News
- 15 References
Emmanuel Makandiwa was born Shingirai Chirume on 25 December 1977 to Lilian Makandiwa. His family eked a living through farming. He grew up in Muzarabani. Both his parents were elders in the Apostolic Faith Mission in Zimbabwe Church in Muzarabani. He attended Zengeza High School in Chitungwiza for his secondary education. After completing his secondary education, he returned to Muzarabani. He is married to Ruth Makandiwa. He has two sons, Emmanuel and Victor.
Career as a Pastor
Having been born in a Christian family, Makandiwa used to be part of the team which organised gospel crusades and was one of the preachers. He came back to Harare and was enrolled at the A.F.M’s Living Waters Theological Seminary where he graduated with a Diploma in Theology in 2002. Makandiwa claimed that before he graduated he was called in a vision by God in 1995.
After graduating, Makandiwa went to Matabeleland where he worked as an assistant pastor under the supervision of Reverend Aspher Madziyire (who was once the President of AFM). He was then assigned to be the pastor of an Assembly in Shangani. In 2004, he was transferred to How Mine and subsequently to Hebron Assembly in Chitungwiza. In August 2008, Makandiwa started an inter-denominational church drawing the attention of many people. His sermons were screened on Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation television.
Departure from AFM
It was reported that Makandiwa was devoting much of his time to his newly formed inter-denominational church neglecting his duties at his Chitungwiza assembly. Those in the executive interim of AFM gave Makandiwa two options; either to remain with AFM or to be with UFIC. He chose the latter. In 2010, Makandiwa renamed UFIC to United Family International Church (UFIC) in 2010.
- Miracle Baby
In November 2012, there was apparently a miracle baby which was born after a certain Chitungwiza woman who had an encounter with Makandiwa got pregnant and delivered a baby within three days of conception. The woman claimed that she had normal menstrual periods which ended on 15 November 2012. On 18 November 2012, the couple went to the UFIM and when Makandiwa was praying for female congregates whose pregnancies had complications, he then declared that there was to be a miracle pregnancy which was to be delivered within a space of hours, days and weeks. The prophecy came to pass but the baby died mysteriously.
- Miracle Money
At one point, Makandiwa was said to have performed a miracle that saw some of his followers miraculously having money in their pockets and bank accounts.This ignited a heated debate with Gideon Gono who was the then Governor of the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe. Gono said that such miracle money should be considered the "proceeds of money laundering". At a press conference was held which was addressed by Makandiwa, Uebert Angel and Gono, Makandiwa and Angel argued that the miracle was based on restoration and not on creation of money.
- Manhood Enlargement
In 2014 at his Judgment Night 2 all night prayer, he apparently performed a miracle for a Namibian man who wanted his manhood to be enlarged. The man stated that he had come to Chitungwiza because he was failing to marry due to his small manhood.
- Anointing Oil
In 2014, Makandiwa launched what he termed 'miracle-working anointing oil' which was meant to pave the way for the economic advancement of his followers. He had earlier predicted an economic boom for the country that would changed the lives of the Zimbabweans for the better.
In 2012, Makandiwa’s was implicated in a corruption scandal for illegally purchasing two stands in Chitungwiza working in cohorts with Jemina Gumbo who was the director of a certain housing scheme. It was reported that the Council had approved the construction of a stadium and hotel on those two stands that were allocated to Makandiwa.
Makandiwa and Politics
Although Makandiwa has never publicly announced his political affiliations, speculations are rife that he is aligned to the Robert Mugabe's led Zimbabwe African National Union Patriotic Front (ZANU PF). On 1 March 2011, Makandiwa officiated the launch of the Zanu-PF's anti-sanctions campaign and signed the petition against the travel restrictions imposed on by the European Union (EU) on Mugabe and other members of ZANU-PF. Some religious leaders who also signed the petition include Nobert Kunonga, Trevor Manhanga and Paul Mwazha. He also hails Mugabe highly.
Mass Wedding Ceremony
Makandiwa conducted a massive wedding ceremony in November 2014 contravening the government's directive which disallowed such ceremonies as it was noted that the facility was being exploited by foreign nationals who entered into marriages of convenience with locals so that they could get Zimbabwean citizenship. The mass wedding ceremony was also heavily criticized by traditionalists who argued that it was against tradition to wed people during the month of November.
Accusations of being Makandiwa a fake prophet
In February 2014 and group of pastors from Ghana accused Makandiwa of using charms to perform his dubious and controversial miracles. These pastors also stated that they were intending to report him to Mugabe so his church could be banned. Leo Mugabe also allegedly supported these prophets arguing that Makandiwa failed to heal his mother, Bridget Mugabe who spent about 4 years in a comma. In the wake of this, some people began to question the authenticity of Makandiwa's healing powers as well as the power of those self proclaimed prophets who emerged in the country around 2012. Another South African prophet claimed that Makandiwa and Uebert Angel received ritual charms from their spiritual father Prophet Victor Kusi Boateng who hails from Ghana. The prophet also made the headlines when he was said to have threatened to walk on Kariba waters to prove his critics wrong.
In one of prophet Makandiwa’s healing sessions on November 12, 2010, a 66-year-old woman, Rhoda Mafungautse died after having travelled from Chinhoyi to have her leg healed. Eyewitnesses present said Rhoda limped off to death after the prophet had attempted to perform one of his “miracles” on her.
Prophet Makandiwa Sermon Videos
Apart from being a "Prophet", Makandiwa is also a businessman. In the last quarter of 2014, it was rumored that Makandiwa purchased a gold mine from a Chinese firm, Ming Chang for US $1,3 million which he was given by a certain local bank. A consortium company trading under the name Havillah Gold is also believed to belong to Makandiwa as it is run by a group of directors who are all members of Makandiwa's church. Makandiwa uses the Sterkinekor’s franchise locally and in Zambia.
Makandiwa built a house for Chief Kasekete Changara of Mashonaland Central. It was also reported that Makandiwa contributed immensely to the construction of an orphanage run by Grace Mugabe in Mazowe.
Brand Makandiwa Launch
On 3 June 2016, Makandiwa launched Brand Makandiwa at a colourful event held in Harare. In attendance were his spiritual father Victor Boateng, his biological parents, foreign delegates and local business executives. Accord to the brand managers led by Randy Bediako of Ghana, Brand Makandiwa seeks to celebrate Makandiwa’s achievement through various products that will be released on the market, such as books and branded wares, among others.
21 Jul 2017
21 Jul 2017
21 Jul 2017
21 Jul 2017
21 Jul 2017
- Delta Corporation
- Mandel Training Center
- Style Mates Entertainment
- BirdLife Zimbabwe
- Special Bird Species in Zimbabwe
- Rhodesian Ornithological Society
- Wetlands in Zimbabwe
- Marlborough Vlei
- T. Rupapa and D Shumba, Makandiwa Anointing Oil,The Herald, published:11 Aug 2014,retrieved:25 Jun 2015"
- , Zimbabwe: Makandiwa ‘Draws 250,000 People’,ZimEye, published:21 Apr 2014, retrieved:25 Jun 2015"
- , who is Prophet Emmanuel Makandiwa ?,Zim Diaspora, published:4 Jan 2012,retrieved:25 Jun 2015"
- , Peter Nyoni, who is Prophet Emmanuel Makandiwa?, Zim Diaspora, Published: 4 January 2012, Retrieved: 6 May 2014
- From Miracle Money to Miracle Babies, Nehanda Radio, Published: 4 February 2013, Retrieved: 6 May 2014
- Gold ‘rains’ at Makandiwa service, NewsDay, Published: 21 January 2013, Retrieved: 6 May 2014
- The curious case of miracle money, The Herald, Published: 27 December 2013,Retrieved: 6 May 2014
- ,Prophet Makandiwa performs miracle ‘manhood’ enlargement, Nehanda Radio, Published: 5 Jan 2014, Retrieved: 6 May 2014
- Prophet Makandiwa unveils miracle anointing oil, Bulawayo 24, Published: 22 Apr 2014, Retrieved: 6 May 2014
- , Director accused of engaging in corrupt deal with Prophet Makandiwa acquitted,Rel Zim, published:3 Sep 2013,retrieved:25 Jun 2015"
- Makandiwa hails President, The Herald, Published: January 5, 2015, Retrieved:January 6, 2015
- Nyemudzai Kakore Makandiwa in trouble over mass wedding, Nehanda Radio, Published: December 2, 2014, Retrieved: January 6, 2014
- Ghana pastors vow to report Makandiwa to Mugabe, want UFIC banned, Nehanda Radio, Published: February 9, 2014, Retrieved: January 6, 2015
- I dragged Makandiwa to see Bridget Mugabe: Leo admits, Nehanda Radio, Published: January 22, 2014, Retrieved: January 6, 2015
- Itai Mushekwe Pastor alleges Prophets Makandiwa and Angel received ritual charms, Nehanda Radio, Published: July 1, 2013, Retrieved: January 6, 2015
- Makandiwa acquires gold mine, Nehanda Radio, Published: August 18, 2014, Retrieved: January 6, 2014
- Z. Murwira, Makandiwa Hands Over House to Chief,The Herald, published:6 Jun 2012,retrieved:25 Jun 2015"
- Makandiwa rebrands, NewsDay, published: 6 June 2016, retrieved: 6 June 2016