Farai Simoyi Agbede
October 1, 1983
London, United Kingdom
|Residence||United States of America|
West Virginia University - USA,|
Nuova Accademia Di Belle Arti - Milan, Italy
|Employer||Senior Denim, Blacksmith World|
|Known for||Senior Designer for Nicki Minaj Clothing Line|
|Notable work(s)||Designer for Nicki Minaj|
|Parents||Reuben Simoyi (father) and Priscah Mujuru (mother)|
|Relatives||Tsekwi Simoyi (brother) and Effie Simoyi (sister)|
|Awards||2012 Designer of the Year - African Diaspora Awards|
Farai Simoyi is female textile designer and fashion expert of Zimbabwean origin, who is based in the United States. She rose to fame through her fashion brand as well as her role in designing textiles for international celebrities such as Nicki Minaj.
Farai Vije Mwanaka Simoyi was born on 1 October 1983 to Reuben Simoyi and Priscah Mujuru in London, England. She lived in Harare, Zimbabwe, where she got her first taste of textiles and fashion, from her aunt’s lingerie company at age five. Leaving Zimbabwe as a 10 year old, Farai headed to Morgantown, West Virginia in the United States of America where she lived with her family. She is the eldest of 3, having a brother Tsekwi and sister Effie, while her parents are divorced. Farai Simoyi was married to Ayo Agbede on 1 March 2014.
Farai attended Groombridge Primary School before going to the US for two years and then returning Groombridge in Zimbabwe. She would return to the USA to complete both her primary and secondary education before proceeding to West Virginia University. There she studied Fashion & Design and started to hone the skills she began learning as a child in Africa. Farai became After graduation, Farai spent a summer furthering her knowledge, studying at Nuova Accademia Di Belle Arti in Milan, Italy.
Career as a Designer
After her summer in Italy, Farai moved to New York City, where she hoped to be able to combine the knowledge and styles gained from her experiences in Zimbabwe, West Virginia, and Italy. Starting as an assistant, Farai accepted her role as one of support, but knew it was a role she would soon grow out of. Indeed, she was quickly promoted to technical designer, where she was exposed to the cut-throat technical underside of fashion, coming to appreciate that there is a science to the art.
Farai has managed to achieve considerable success in her designing career. With her dues paid in the technical fashion circle, Farai was able to break into the forefront and was hired as the Senior Denim Designer for House of Dereon by Beyonce & Tina Knowles followed by clients such as Rocawear, Luxirie by LRG, Rachel Roy, Robert Rodriguez, Anne Klein, Nine West, and Nicki Minaj Collection.
It was also reported in international media that Simoyi had managed to navigate a way in her designing career to become one of the senior designers for Nicki Minaj clothing line. Nicki Minaj is one of the popular female hip -hop artists in the United States of America and being a designer for the artist is a great achievement which attracts attention from all facets of people.
Some of Farai's Designs
18 Jan 2017
18 Jan 2017
17 Jan 2017
17 Jan 2017
17 Jan 2017
- Cain Mathema
- Philana Kadewere
- Togo national football team
- DR Congo national football team
- Tunisia national football team
- Burkina Faso national football team
- Uganda national football team
- Ivory Coast national football team
- Mali national football team
- Mathew Rusike
- BlackSmith World - About, BlackSmith.com, Published: No Date Given, Retrieved: 15 Feb 2015
- Vije’s Graduates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,www.pdx.edu, Published: No Date Given, Retrieved: 15 Feb 2015
- People Finder - Farai Simoyi,instantpeoplefinder.com, Published: No Date Given, Retrieved: 15 Feb 2015
- Farai Simoyi,Farai Simoyi, Published: No Date Given, Retrieved: 13 Feb 2015
- Farai Simoyi + Ayo Agbede, TheKnot.com, Published: No Date Given, Retrieved: 15 Feb 2015
- , Zimbabwean Designer Behind Nicki Minaj's Fashion Line; Farai Simoyi,Forbes, published:2 Feb 2015,retrieved:13 Feb 2015"