This is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
Ignatius Morgan Chombo|
August 1, 1952
|Organization||Ministry of Home Affairs|
|Known for||Being a Cabinet Minister|
Dr. Ignatius Chombo is a Zimbabwean politician who is the current Minister Minister of Home Affairs. He belongs to the ruling ZANU-PF party.
Ignatius Morgan Chombo was born August 1, 1952 in Marondera. He has three sons with former wife Marian Chombo.
Ignatius Chombo graduated from Kutama Teachers College in 1970.
Chombo holds the following degrees:
- PhD in Adult Education from Vanderbilt University, Nashville (1981)
- PhD in Higher Education, Texas Woman's University, Denton (1987).
Chombo joined the political fray when he was one a teacher between 1966 and 1969 as one of those opposing colonial rule. Chombo became popular in 1995 when he was elected member of parliament, resident minister and Governor for Mashonaland West Province. He was also appointed Minister of Higher Education in the same year. He was also re-elected as Zvimba North House of Assembly member in the March 2008 Parliamentary elections. In 2009, he was appointed Minister of Local Government with the inception of the Government of National Unity(GNU).
- University Lecturer, Department Chairman, University of Zimbabwe(1988-1992)
- Member of the Catholic Youth Organization (Solidarity) (1966–69)
- Teacher (1971–74)
Chombo's ex-wife Marian Mhloyi has accused him of having extra-marital affairs and at one point called him a 'love rat' when he abandoned her in 2005. He had been married to Marian since 1993 and left her for a former news anchor Nanette Silukhuni it is said.
Wealth and Corruption Allegation
When Chombo and his wife of 25 years, Marian Chombo, divorced in 2010, it was made public how much wealth he had accumulated over the years as a politician. Court documents exposed how Chombo had interest in many sectors of the economy. Chombo's property included:
- 75 residential and commercial stands,
- 14 houses and 5 flats
- 3 100 hectares farm in Rafingora.
- 15 Vehicles
- Interest in several farms, mines and hunting safari lodges in Hwange, Chiredzi, Magunje and Chirundu
- Properties in South Africa
When a probe team of Harare City Councillors, produced a report implicating Chombo and businessman Philip Chiyangwa of illegally acquiring council properties at dirt cheap prices the police refused to investigate the matter. The councillors were the ones who were arrested, and journalists reporting the matter arrested too at the instruction of Chiyangwa
Chombo has however been dragged before the courts many times facing corruption charges. In 2013, he allegedly acquired and sold council stands in Harare.
In the same year, he allegedly used his ministerial position to allocate a peri-urban farm to his personal lawyer, Wilson Manase. In 2014, Chombo was again back in court to settle the ownership of his farm between him and his ex-wife Marian. This is when details emerged that he never paid school fees for his two sons Nimrod and Ignatius since primary school.
Chombo was heavily criticized after he quashed the suspension of Harare town clerk Tendai Mahachi, standing against the public fight for accountability and transparency. Harare Mayor Bernard Manyenyeni had suspended Mahachi for three months as he was allegedly involved in the Salarygate scandal.
Minister Chombo was also implicated in a scandal which involved other prominent figures such as former vice president Joice Mujuru and former deputy minister of Information and Publicity, Bright Matonga. Matonga a former CEO of Zimbabwe United Passenger Company (ZUPCO) was said to have benefited from an underhand deal in which he got US $3,000 per bus bought by the parastatal. It is alleged that Chombo and company solicited a bribe of about US $85,000 from a local bus supplier.
It was reported that the Local government had an affair with one Nanette Silukhuni who is a former employee of the Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation. The alleged affair is said to have come to light when Marian Chombo, wife to Ignatius Chombo sued her husband over the affair claiming a two billion dollar lawsuit for adultery. Nanette Silukhuni was also said to be in the habit of going out with high profile men which included the likes of Roger Boka, Myethi Mpofu among others. It was also alleged that Nanette openly admitted to having been involved with Chombo and being customarily married to him. It was also reported that she professed ignorance of Chombo being married to any other woman despite Chombo being married to Marian since 1993.
Latest Articles Created on Pindula
- Mbuya vaHector
- Pamela Zulu (Gonyeti)
- Thomas Chizhanje
- Mudzidzi Wimbo
- Melody Komara
- Samantha Mawarire
- Dexter Nduna
- Tawanda Manyimo
- Dave Emberton
- National Electoral Reform Agenda
- Biography for Ignatius Chombo Biography for Ignatius Chombo, SILOBreaker, Published: January 15, 2009, Retrieved: July 1, 2014
- Mrs. Marian Chombo, Zoominfo, Retrieved July 1, 2014
- Chombo a love rat, says wife, New Zimbabwe, Published: December 11, 2009, Retrieved: July 1, 2014
- United States Congressional Serial Set, Serial No. 14976, House Documents. Page 6.
- Jacob W. Chikuhwa, ZIMBABWE:THE END OF THE FIRST REPUBLIC: The End of the First Republic, Page: 69. Arthur House, 2013.
- Chombo’s Corruption Case Resurfaces In Court, Voice Of The People, Published: September 5, Retrieved: July 1, 2014
- Leased farm dogs Chombo, Mail and Guardian, Published: May 24, 2013, Retrieved: July 1, 2014
- Secrets out in nasty Chombo ex-wife farm fight, New Zimbabwe, Published:2 March 2014, Retrieved: 13 April 2014
- Chombo reinstates Mahachi,DailyNews, Published:2 February 2014, Retrieved: 13 April 2014
- Chombo: Abuse of Power or a Business Genius?, 3rdliberation, Retrieved: July 1, 2014
- Chombo's mistress and her famous conquests, NewZimbabwe.com, Published: December 11, 2009, Retrieved: January 5, 2015