This is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
Image Via: Chronicle
|Education||National University of Science and Technology|
|Employer||Government of Zimbabwe|
|Zimbabwe African National Union Patriotic Front|
Makhosini Hlongwane is a Zimbabwean politician, and former ZBC news reporter, who is the Member of Parliament for Mberengwa East Constituency. He is also a member of ZANU-PF and serves in the Zimbabwe Government as the Minister of Sport and Recreation. In September 2015 he was sworn in as Minister without Portfolio and just a week later would be appointed to the Ministry of Sport and Recreation, replacing Andrew Langa.
In July 2009 he was the Co-Chair of the Media Thematic Committee at the First All Stake Holders Conference during the Zimbabwe Constitution making process. Hlongwane has been a member of the Parliamentary Network on the World Bank. From July 2008 to July 2013 he was a member of the Media and ICTs Portfolio Committee for the Parliament of Zimbabwe. Since January 2014, Hlongwane has been the Midlands Regional Advisory Board for the Zimbabwe Prisons and Correctional Services. Before he ventured into politics, Hlongwane was employed by the Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation as a reporter. He was elected as the Member of Parliament for Mberengwa East in the July 2013 harmonised elections. On September 11, 2015 he was sworn in as Minister without Portfolio and just a week later would take over Andrew Langa's portfolio as the Minister of Sport and Recreation.
- President of the Standing Committee on Political Affairs of the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Parliamentary Assembly (November 2013 – present)
- Member of the Foreign Affairs Committee in the Parliament of Zimbabwe (August 2013 – present)
- Co-President of the African, Caribbean, Pacific and European Union Joint Parliamentary Assembly Standing Committee on Political Affairs (November 2013 – present)
Youth Fund Scam
Hlongwane allegedly benefited from the youth fund as he reportedly received $32 380 purportedly for capitalising a bakery in Zvishavane. The youth fund is accessible to youths aged between 18 and 35 years old and Hlongwane was not a youth at the time he got the loan. Amos Chibaya who is the Member of Parliament for Mkoba, was the first to raise alarm, questioning why Hlongwane got $32 580 yet he was not a youth.
Call For New Zimbabwe Currency
In May 2015 there were reports that Hlongwane and fellow legislator and former ZRP spokesperson, Oliver Mandipaka who is the member of parliament for Buhera West, were planning to move a motion to compel government to introduce new currency measures to protect domestic industry. This came at a time when the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe had introduced bond coins a few months before. This proposed motion by Hlongwane sparked public and media outrage.
Latest Articles Created on Pindula
- Perence Shiri
- Tilda Moyo
- Phathisani Sibanda
- Yvonne Mangunda
- Frederick Mutanda
- Otis Fraser
- Howard Musonza
- Neville Mutsvangwa
- Tendai Wenyika
- Frederick Shava
- BREAKING NEWS: Langa fired, Hlongwane takes reins, Herald, Published: 17 Sep 2015, Retrieved: 17 Sep 2015
- Makhosini Hlongwane, LinkedIn, Published: No Date Given, Retrieved: September 11, 2015
- Third time around, Southern Eye, Published: May 22, 2015, Retrieved: September 11, 2015
- Zanu PF MP named in Youth Fund scam, Nehanda Radio, Published: May 31, 2014, Retrieved: September 11, 2015
- MPs seek to compel govt to introduce new currency, NewsDay, Published: May 2, 2015, Retrieved: September 11, 2015
- Bishop Lazarus, Who would want to be in CDE Chinamasa's shoes?, Sunday Mail, Published: May 3, 2015, Retrieved: September 11, 2015