|Zimbabwe African National Union Patriotic Front|
Monica Mutsvangwa is a Zimbabwean politician and member of the Zimbabwe African National Union Patriotic Front (ZANU PF) since she was 15. She is one of the numerous allies of Emmerson Mnangagwa who became triumphant during the intra-party fights which rocked ZANU PF and were resolved during the 6th ZANU PF Congress held in December 2014. She is married to Christopher Mutsvangwa and is a mother of four.
- 1 Educational Qualifications
- 2 Political career
- 3 Factionalism in ZanuPF (2014 - 2016)
- 4 Fierce Fighting with Didymus Mutasa
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Latest News
- 7 Latest Articles Created on Pindula
- 8 References
- Degree in Marketing (City University in New York in the United States of America USA in 1990)
- Masters Degree in Business Administration (Baruch College in USA 2005)
Mutsvangwa argued that she became politically active at a tender age of 15 fighting against the Rhodesian government led by Ian Smith. She is therefore a war veteran.
After the country attained its independence in 1980 from white minority rule, Mutsvangwa claimed that she never betrayed the party and thus she worked as a diplomat in Windhoek (Namibia), Brussels (Australia) and New York (USA). On 16 March 2012, she was sworn in as the Deputy Minister of Labour and Social Welfare, assuming the position left by Tracy Mutinhiri, who was accused of working against the interests of the party. Prior to her appointment as the Deputy Minister of Labour and Social Welfare, Mutsvangwa was a senator for the Mutare-Chimaninani area.
On 26 September 2013, Mutsvangwa was elected to be the Chairperson of Women Parliamentary Caucus, replacing Beata Nyamupinga who had been the leader of the Caucus for four consecutive years. Mutsvangwa defeated Constance Tsomondo-Shamu.
Factionalism in ZanuPF (2014 - 2016)
Fierce Fighting with Didymus Mutasa
In November 2013, Mutsvangwa was defeated by John Mvundura who became the Chairman of Manicaland Province although he was expelled in November 2014 for being sympathetic to Joice Mujuru who was reported to be fanning factionalism within ZANU PF as well as orchestrating Mugabe's removal from power. Mutsvangwa fingered Mutasa as being the main culprit whom she accused of rigging the elections to necessitate Mvundura's victory.In the wake of these elections, Mutasa argued that, Mutsvangwa was not fit to contest for a seat in the Central Committee during the 2014 elections as she had resigned as a member of the Committee when she was eyeing to be the Chairman for the Manicaland Province. Mutasa signed a letter which was read at the party's Provincial Coordinating Committee (PCC) meeting in June 2014 indicating that Mutsvangwa had forfeited her Central Committee position by contesting against Mvundura. Responding to this, Mutsvangwa stated that Mutasa was on a mission to dismiss her and the letter was one of his dirty tricks. She was quoted saying,
I can assure you l will teach those male chauvinists a lesson they will never forget. It’s a matter of record that in the tough 2008 elections they all lost and l won for ZANU PF. I have been in this political game since the tender age of 15 against racist and colonial Rhodesia. ZANU PF has no place for gender bigotry
Mnangagwa who was the then Minister of Justice and Legal Affairs, who was appointed to be the Vice President of Zimbabwe after the 6th Congress of ZANU PF held in December 2014, intervened and resolved the matter. He stated that Mutsvangwa was still a member of the Central Committee dismissing Mutasa's views. For being loyal to Mnangagwa, Mutsvanga was appointed to be the Deputy Secretary for Information and Publicity after the party's 6th Congress held in December.
Death ThreatsOn 25 October 2014, Mutsvangwa made sensational disclosures that she had received threats for questioning senior party officials belonging to the Mujuru faction on their intended purpose for fanning factionalism within the party. Speaking at the Zimbabwe National Liberation War Collaborators Association (ZILIWACO)8th anniversary held in Odzi, she said,
You will not kill me. You will never kill all of us. I am not afraid of dying. I have been intimidated on many occasions that if l come to Manicaland l will die l am not afraid
Vote of No Confidence for disrespecting First Lady
As differences emerged between the Lacoste and G40 factions it became clear what faction the Mutsvangwas belonged to. In November 2015 Monica Mutsvangwa, was accused of participating in an illegal meeting that tried to overturn a vote of no confidence that had been passed on Happiness Nyakuedzwa who was herself accused of fanning factionalism and disrespecting the First Lady Grace Mugabe.
In December 2015, the Zanu-PF Women’s League passed a vote of no confidence in Mutsvangwa, its spokesperson. The league recommended her expulsion from the party for pushing factional politics and "disrespecting First Lady Grace Mugabe". Secretary for Administration Espinah Nhari also got a vote of no confidence and expulsion recommendation at at the same time for also allegedly fanning factionalism. The decision was made during a meeting held at the Zanu-PF headquarters which was chaired by Grace Mugabe. The move was considered a major blow to the Emmerson Mnangagwa Faction as it became increasingly clear that the first lady was preparing herself for more power in Zanu-PF politics.
2016 Three Year Suspension from Zanu-PF & Dismissal from Cabinet
In a politburo meeting held on 3 March 2016 in Harare, Monica Mutsvangwa was suspended for 3 years for gross misconduct and disloyalty. Her husband Chris Mutsvangwa and Women’s Affairs secretary for Administration Espinah Nhari were also suspended in the same meeting.
Being suspended members they would not be allowed to hold any positions in the party during the 3 years. The two Mutsvangwas would however remain Zanu-PF Senator for Manicaland sand National Assembly members for Norton, respectively.. They would thus become ordinary members of the party.
Days later, on 5 March, President Mugabe dismissed Monica Mutsvangwa from cabinet as Deputy Minister of Macro-Economic Planning and Investment Promotion.
On 25 May 2012, Ronald Matatabikwa of Knowtown News Pvt Ltd threw a party at Ngoni Stadium in Norton for Mutsvangwa to celebrate her elevation.
28 Feb 2017
28 Feb 2017
28 Feb 2017
28 Feb 2017
28 Feb 2017
Latest Articles Created on Pindula
- Cain Mathema
- Philana Kadewere
- Togo national football team
- DR Congo national football team
- Tunisia national football team
- Burkina Faso national football team
- Uganda national football team
- Ivory Coast national football team
- Mali national football team
- Mathew Rusike
- Monica Mutsvangwa, Kuvaka Zim:,retrieved:18 December 2014"
- Monica Mutsvangwa sworn in as Labour Deputy Minister, New Zimbabwe, published:16 Mar 2012,retrieved:18 December 2014"
- Mutsvangwa Elected, The Herald, published:27 Sep 2013,retrieved:18 December 2014"
- 'I want to teach Didymus Mutasa a lesson,' says Mutsvangwa, Harare 24 News, published:2 Jun 2014,retrieved:18 December 2014"
- Obey Manayiti, Muchinguri, Mutsvangwa retain Zanu PF central committee posts, NewsDay, published:23 Nov 2014,retrieved:18 December 2014"
- Obey Manayiti, ‘Mujuru camp after my life’, NewsDay, published:26 Oct 2014,retrieved:18 December 2014"
- Felex Share and Walter Mswazie, G40 A MYTH: VP MPHOKO, The Chronicle, Published: 5 December 2015, Retrieved: 9 December 2015
- Zanu PF Manicaland chairlady booted out, NewsDay, Published:19 Oct 2015, Retrieved: 9 Dec 2015
- Blessed Mhlanga Blow for Mnangagwa as top allies booted out, NewsDay, Published:9 Dec 2015, Retrieved 9 Dec 2015
- Felex Share, Mutsvangwas booted out, The Herald , Published: 4 Mar 2016, Retrieved:4 Mar 2016
- Norton to honour Senator Mutsvangwa, The Herald, published:20 May 2012,retrieved:18 December 2014"