Soul Jah Love
|Soul Jah Love|
|Birth name||Soul Musaka|
|Born||November 22, 1989|
|Occupation(s)||Zimdancehall Artist, Songwriter|
Soul Jah Love is an award winning and popular Zimdancehall artist who rose to prominence in 2012 with hit tracks such as "Ndini Uya uya" and "Gum-kum". He is often compared to the Jamaican Vybz Kartel. He is known for making the "Chibabababa", "Hauite Hauite" and "Conquering" signature chants which appear in all of his songs.
- 1 Background
- 2 Early life
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Education
- 5 Health Issues
- 6 Accident
- 7 Music career
- 8 Discography
- 9 Picture Gallery
- 10 Collaborations
- 11 Business Ventures
- 12 Controversies
- 13 Success
- 14 Awards
- 15 Latest News
- 16 Latest Articles Created on Pindula
- 17 References
Jah Love was Born Soul Musaka on 22 November 1989 as a twin having a brother named John.
He grew up in the capital city, Harare but mother passed away when he was only 1-year-old, after which he went to live with his grandmother, who would later die when he was in Grade 5. His father passed away in 2005 at which time they were living in Waterfalls, before his step-mother had him evicted from the family house.
He is married to Bounty Lisa, fellow Zimdancehall musician. The two are believed to have met in the music industry. Their marriage has sustained their respective careers as they have done some collaborations together on a number of songs.
Soul Jah Love has suffered from sugar diabetes since the age of 7 and has been hospitalised a number of times. These experiences have increased his faith in God it has been said.
AccidentJah Love was involved in a car accident in Gweru on August 18 2016. The musician was travelling with his band to Victoria Falls for a gig. Four people, including him were seriously injured and were admitted at Gweru General Hospital. A source who attended the accident scene said the musician’s vehicle burst a front tyre and lost control,
The car’s front tyre burst and the driver lost control of the vehicle near Village Lodge which is about five kilometers from Gweru.Gweru music promoter Esau Hundura who also went to the scene shortly after the incident said the musician had been referred to a Harare hospital,
I just received a call as one of the local promoters from people at the scene and I arrived when the guys were being taken to the hospital. He got treatment at general hospital before he was referred to Harare.
He said other band members were still at Gweru General Hospital. The musician’s manager Marshall Bimha, who is known as Wadis, confirmed the incident and said Soul Jah Love was in a stable condition. The musician was scheduled to perform at Las Vegas in Southerton on Sunday 21 August 2016 alongside sungura maestro Alick Macheso. In 2014 Soul Jah Love musician cheated death by a whisker after he rammed into Honda Fit in Harare.
Soul Jah Luv is believed to have started singing whilst in high school although he did not make an impact. He was virtually not known before when he released his hit "Ndini uya uya" which rocked the airwaves in 2012. The song made waves on almost all local radio stations. which topped Star FM charts for many weeks. He also made a collaboration with Shinsoman which went on to make waves in the music industry. Within a few months of hogging the limelight, the talented chanter won two awards at 2013 Zim Dancehall Awards for the Best Collaboration and Best Upcoming Artist. The youthful crooner also penned a song in honour of President Robert Mugabe in 2014. The dreadlocked artist continued to rise and in December 2013, he was voted the third best male dancehall artiste and walked away with R2 500. He became one of the few dancehall chanters to play alongside a live band. On his formal engagement party held at the Harare Gardens, he unveiled his 22 member band. The band became the largest after Oliver Mtukudzi and Alick Macheso's bands.
Singles and Albums
- Go back to sender
- Upenyu Ivhiri
- Dzimba Idzo Pazai
- Ndongosimudza Musoro
- Takafitana (featured on Nox Guni)
- Maone atanga (featuring Kina)
- Ndini Uya Uya
- Hatichabatika (featured on Shinsoman)
- No More Love
- Duty Bo
- Mbare Mbare
- No more Love
- City Sports
- Ndine Musindo
- Zvinoita Rudo
Jah Love has had successful collaborations with a number of locally established musicians. Late in 2014, he teamed up with Dendera maestro Sulumani Chimbetu in the latter's album. They collaborated on a song titled Nyuchi which rocked the airwaves due to the unusual combination of voices. He has also worked with the South African based urban groover Nox Guni popularly known in the music industry as Nox on a love song titled "Takafitana" which was realised early in 2014. Soul Jah also did a single collaboration song with the Dancehall legend Winky D in 2014 and this gesture was hailed by fans as it brought together the country's most celebrated dancehall voices together. The combination was further strengthened when Winky D performed at Soul Jah Love's 25th birthday held at Tangashinga Club in Highfield in 2014.
In 2015, Soul Jah Love alongside wife Bounty Lisa opened a food canteen in Mbare in an effort to augment their revenue. Jah Love noted that there were plans underway to open other food outlets in town as well as other locations.
The dancehall chanter was involved in many controversial issues. He sometimes failed to turn up for paid gigs and in other instances he had double bookings. The Mbare-bred chanter at one point faced arrest after failing to honor a contractual agreement with Uptown Club in Gweru. He reportedly received US$380 payment for performance but failed to turn up for the Zimbabwe Dancehall Varsity gig resulting in his promoter reporting the case to the police.
He was again caught on the wrong side during Valetine's Day in 2014. He was reportedly paid by Whispers Night Club to do a gig on the day but he did not turn up. It was allegedly reported that he chose to perform in Beitbridge leaving his fans that had turned up for his show stranded.
In November 2014, Soul Jah Love was involved in a stage fight with a fellow dancehall musician Seh Calaz at City Sports Centre in Harare. Whilst performing, Soul Jah Love went on to attack Seh Calaz causing mayhem and about ten people were injured when the Zimbabwe Republic Police tried to disperse people using tear gas.
Soul Jah Love made an apology for his failure to turn up for shows he had been booked. The apology was made at a birthday bash held for music promoter Diva Musoja in April 2014.
Speculations are rife that Soul Jah Love is a member of the Zimbabwe African National Union Patriotic Front (ZANU PF). Soul Jah Love has recorded a track entitled praising the First Secretary of ZANU PF, President Robert Mugabe. In January 2015, it was reported that he released a track, Gamatox blasting the ousted ZANU PF Secretary for Administration, Didymus Mutasa at the same time praising Grace Mugabe. This has further compounded allegations leveled against him as being biased towards the First Family and ZANU PF much to the displeasure of his fans.
Soul Jah Love continued to shine as he was appointed a brand ambassador for Jan Jam Fashions in April 2014. Though the deal was yet to be finalised the Jan Jam management which described him as the man of the moment said they wanted to engage him for at least three years. The fashion company dressed the dread locked artist and his wife during their engagement party which took place on the 5th of April 2014.
Zimdancehall Awards 2014 - Best Collaboration with Shinsoman on Hativasiye Vane Nyota
Zimdancehall Awards 2014 - Best Social Message - Nhamo
Zimdancehall Awards 2013 - Best Collaboration with Cello Culture on Minana
Zimdancehall Awards 2013 - Best Upcoming Artiste
King Of Zim Dancehall 2013 
26 Feb 2017
26 Feb 2017
26 Feb 2017
26 Feb 2017
26 Feb 2017
Latest Articles Created on Pindula
- Cain Mathema
- Philana Kadewere
- Togo national football team
- DR Congo national football team
- Tunisia national football team
- Burkina Faso national football team
- Uganda national football team
- Ivory Coast national football team
- Mali national football team
- Mathew Rusike
- Zecheaus Nemadire, Soul Jah Love Zim’s own Vybz Kartel?, Published: 12 March 2014 , Retrieved: 7 Apr 2014
- Mtandazo Dube, Love at first sight, The Sunday Mail, Published: 29 Mar 2014, Retrieved: 18 Jan 2015
- Publisher T. P Chikepe, ZIM DANCEHALL NA VACHIKEPE, Publisher T. P Chikepe Facebook Profile, Published: 22 Oct 2013, Retrieved: 18 Jan 2015
- Tawanda Marwizi, Soul Jah Love injured in car accident, Herald, published: August 19, 2016, retrieved: August 20, 2016
- Kumbirayi Shoniwa, Mbare rules the roost at dancehall contest, Nehanda Radio, Published:9 December 2013, Retrieved: 7 April 2014
- Entertainment Reporter, Soul Jah Love unveils new band, Herald, Published:14 Apr 2014
- , New Song; Sulu and Soul Jah Love Nyuchi,Mafaro, Published: No Date Given, Retrieved:29 December 2014
- , Winky D To Grace Soul Jah Love's Birthday Bash,The Herald, Published:2 December 2014, Retrieved:29 December 2016
- The Herald, Published: July 9, 2015, Retrieved: July 10, 2015
- Brenda Phiri, Soul Jah Love faces arrest, 'Herald', Published: 27 Feb 2014, Retrieved: 7 Apr 2014
- Soul Jah Love extols Mugabe in new song, DailyNews, Published; 20 February 2014, Retrieved: 7 April 2014
- B. Phiri, Seh Calaz and Soul Jah Love blame each other for violence,Nehanda Radio, Published:11 November 2014, Retrieved:30 December 2014
- Elton Zengeni, Soul Jah Love, Changara bury hatchet,The Zimbabwe Mail, Published:2 Apr 2014, Retrieved: 7 Apr 2014
- Winstone Antonio, Soul Jah Love attacks ‘Gamatox’ in song, "NewsDay", Published:30 Jan 2015,Retrieved:2 February 2015"
- M, Soul Jah Love in near crash, Mafaro, Published: Ar 2014, Retrieved: 7 Apr 2014
- Soul Jah Love, JiveZimbabwe, Published: No Date Given, Retrieved: 25 Mar 2015