This is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
Tendai Manatsa is one of the best Zimbabwean guitarists and vocalists and is the son of the legendary musician Zex Manatsa. Manatsa had been part of many music groups including Afrika Revenge before he embarked on a solo career that saw him releasing 'Kudzoka Kwababa' album in 2011.
Manatsa started learning music when he finished school at the age of 18. From there he started learning to play the guitar. However, in those early years he was merely a guitarist not a singer as he believed he did not have the voice. He went on on to play the guitar for Zimbabwe's finest musicians such as Chiwoniso Maraire, Tanga wekwa Sando, Pax Afro and Shingisai Suluma. It was much later, when he married Selmor that he got the guts to start singing when Selmor would perform at various joints and shows around the country. He the went on to release his first album 'Kudzoka Kwababa' in 2011. The title track which featured his wife was received favourable airplay. In his own words, Manatsa said 'Mugona' was a favourite of many. Since 2005 he had been working with his wife that saw them releasing two albums together, 'Ndinewe— I am with You' and 'Tendai and Selmor Live'. The latter, which was released in 2011, carries renditions of a few all-time classics by the two musicians' fathers, Oliver Mtukudzi and Zexie Manatsa.
In January 2014, Manatsa made his debut solo performance at the Book Café after he had taken a break to promote his wive's solo album. The performance was followed by the release of his single 'Ndichifema' which featured rapper Stunner. The song which is taken from his forth coming album due to be released mid 2014, was voted into Power FM’s top 100 only two weeks after its release.
Manatsa had performed in many countries including Mauritius and at international festivals like the Saudi zaBusara Festival in Zanzibar. In 2009, he toured internationally as the lead guitarist with "Spread the Word," a project featuring musicians and poets working toward cultural activism and human rights in Zimbabwe.
Latest Articles Created on Pindula
- G40 Faction
- Zanu-PF Million Man March 2016
- This Flag Campaign
- Evan Mawarire
- Tafadzwa Musarara
- Joseph Madziyire
- Chicken Inn Football Club
- Alexander Johnson
- Jonathan Mbiriyamveka, Selmor goes solo, Herald, Published: 5 Feb 2013, Retrieved: 4 April 2014
- Fred Zindi, The Manatsa legacy lives on, Herald, Published 19 Dec 2011, Retrieved: 4 Apr 2014
- Chr, Selmor Mtukudzi, Tendai part ways, Chronicle, Published:8 Feb 2013, Retrieved: 4 Apr 2014
- Mafu Sithabile, Mtukudzi, Manatsa launches a 14 track album, Bulawayo 24, Published: 24 Jun 2011, Retrieved: 4 Apr 2014
- Entertainment Reporter, Manatsa, Pah Chihera steals show at Book Cafe, NewsDay, Published: 9 Jan 2014, Retrieved: 4 Apr 2014
- ZN, Tendai Manatsa features Stunner in new song – Ndichifema, 'Zimbeat News', Published: 23 Jan 2014, Retrieved: 4 Apr 2014
- WA, Tendai Manatsa, World Artists, Published: ND , Retrieved: 4 Apr 2014