This is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
June 6, 1945
|Zimbabwe African National Union Patriotic Front|
Webster Shamu is a politician who belongs to the ruling party in Zimbabwe, the Zimbabwe African National Union Patriotic Front (ZANU PF) party. He was the minister of Information and Communication Technology, and Postal and Courier Services and ZANU PF national Political Commissar before his political downfall in December 2014.
He was born on the 6th of June 1945. He was formerly known as Charles Ndlovu, but changed the name during the civil war between 1972 and 1980. His father died in 1963 leaving his mother Mary to take care of the family. Shamu has seven siblings and is married to Constance Tsomondo. His mother died in February 2013 at the age of 90.
He started politics in the 1960s when Rhodesia was still a British colony. He left his job as disc jokey (Dj Master Blaster) to join the liberation struggle. Before he left the country, whilst a disc jockey, Shamu propagated the importance of joining the liberation struggle. After independence he was elected Chegutu East member of parliament in the 2000 parliamentary elections. He was re-elected in 2008 and 2013. Shamu's first ministerial post came in 2004 when he was appointed Minister of State for Policy Implementation on the 9th of February the same year. He served in the same ministry for one year and was appointed Deputy Minister in the Ministry of Youth, Sport and Culture in 2005. During the Government of National Unity (GNU) he was appointed minister of Information and Publicity from 2009 to 2013.
He was allegedly involved in an armed confrontation with a political opponent Philemon Matibe by throwing him his wife and their two children out of their property a 1,600 acre farm way before the farm invasions that took place around 2000. In 2009 he was implicated in a rhino poaching scandal together with Emmerson Mnangagwa. What made matters worse is that the police docket against him mysteriously disappeared from the attorney general's office fueling speculation that the allegations were true. He was in 2014 blamed for the rot at the Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation (ZBC) which included gross mismanagement,incompetence and failing to discover obscene salaries paid to senior managers involved in the Salarygate.
As this was not enough, a Binga North member of parliament,Dubeko Prince Sibanda revealed that Shamu's wife Constance was on the ZBC payroll. He has often made bizarre comments praising Robert Mugabe. He at one point compared him to a popular milk brand 'Cremora' and wished he was his biological father. He once said if he had a chance to choose a father before birth, he would have chosen Mugabe.
Shamu is alleged to have impregnated a 15 year old girl. It is believed the then flew the girl to the United Kingdom where she lives with the child. It was also reported that he was paying a month maintenance fee of USD$10 000 for the upkeep of the child. This affair became a source of conflict between Shamu and his wife Tsomondo and it eventually spilled into the public domain. Shamu has also been implicated in a number of scandals involving mining concessions and is alleged to have made a lot of money through the said underhand dealings. Shamu was said to be involved in a poaching scandal in which he was alleged to be in patnership with a Chinese national who was caught with six rhino horns at a police roadblock.
There were also reports that Shamu had changed his name and was previously known as Charles Ndlovu but the reasons for the name change remained undisclosed.
Shamu has been accused by Robert Mugabe loyalist of siding with the Mujuru faction led by vice president Joice Mujuru. In his Mashonaland west province, the executive committee denounced him for failing to take part in important provincial meetings. This followed the ouster of his wife who was also leader of the women's league fro the province. Shamu was elected into the central committee in the provincial elections held in November in Chinhoyi. However, a week a later, some youths demonstrated against Shamu accusing him of fanning factionalism. Provincial chairperson Ziyambi Ziyambi alternative nominated Christopher Mutsvangwa who is believed to be Mugabe loyalist to replace Shamu.
Shamu lost his post in the central committee in ZANU PF after he failed to get nomination in his Mashonaland west province. He however won the initial nomination but did not get the much needed endorsement form the provincial executive. He thus lost qualification to seat in the cabinet. During the ZANU PF congress held in December 2014, the politburo dissolved his Commissariat department and this automatically left him without any influence in the party. He was also fired from cabinet by president Robert Mugabe and was replaced by Supa Mandiwanzira who is generally viewed as a Mugabe loyalist.
Latest Articles Created on Pindula
- Mutumwa Mawere
- MMM Global Zimbabwe
- Ponzi Scheme
- Transparency International Zimbabwe
- Zimbabwe Protests Timeline
- Fay Chung
- Mbuya vaHector
- , Webster Shamu's mother laid to rest Zim Daily, Published February 10, 2013, Retrieved June 30, 2014
- , Webster Shamu influenced my father
- Minister Shamhu releases Gospel Single Zim Beat News, Published: October 13th, 2011, Retrieved: June 30, 2014
- Two Faces of Information Minister Webster Shamu jOOMLA, Published: February 17, 2009, Retrieved: June 30, 1990
- Munalula Wina, Zimbabwe Mnangagwa, Shamu in Rhino Horn Scandal....docket vanishes into thin air, Africa Hunting, Published: July 17, 2009, Retrieved: June 30, 2014
- Tichaona Sibanda, Webster Shamu blamed for ZBC rot Webster Shamu blamed for ZBC rot, Zimbabwe Situation, Published:2013, Retrieved: June 30, 2014
- Richard Chidza, Daggers out for Mujuru The Zimbabwe Mail, Published: March 1, 2014, Retrieved: June 30, 2014
- Webster Shamu wanted Mugabe for father New Zimbabwe, Published: March 29, 2013, Retrieved: June 30, 2014
- L. Guma, Minister Shamu slept with under-age girl…..wife demands DNA test,Nehanda Radio, published:14 Nov 2014,retrieved:17 Dec 2014"
- Shamu implicated in poaching scandal, THE Insider, Published: October 22, 2014, Retrieved: January 5, 2014
- Itayi Garande and Itai Gwatidzo WEBSTER SHAMU IS A 'TRAITOR, The Zim Gossiper, Published: April 16, 2007, Retrieved: January 5, 2014