|Invented by||Jan Koum and Brian Acton|
WhatsApp Messenger is a cross-platform mobile messaging app which allows mobile phone users to exchange messages without having to pay for Short Message Services costs. WhatsApp Messenger application is compatible with different mobile phone models such as iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Phone and Nokia. The application is said to be used by close to one billion people from different parts of the world and ranks as one of the most popular mobile social apps globally.
WhatsApp can be downloaded from the official WhatsApp website: WhatsApp Download.WhatsApp Desktop Version and Web
WhatsApp can also be used on a desktop computer or from a web browser. You will however need to have your phone nearby so that you can scan a QR code to activate the Web or Desktop version. Use the links below to access it:Background
WhatsApp was launched in 2009 by a pair of software engineers Jan Koum and Brian Acton. WhatsApp is an early stage technology startup founded within the heart of a technology innovation giant of Silicon Valley. The name WhatsApp for was adopted from popular contemporary lingo; "whats up". The product was created with the hope of building a better SMS facility for mobile users from all over the world and to improve communication for social and commercial purposes. WhatsApp is said to have been "founded by two guys who spent combined 20 years doing geeky stuff at Yahoo Inc. before starting WhatsApp Inc". Functions
WhatApp is mainly used by mobile users with 3G and 4G mobile phones. However, through using another application called Bluestacks, WhatsApp can also be installed on desktops and laptops. It allows users to communicate using the instant messaging model. It also allows users to send voice notes/audio recordings from one person to another, images or photos, videos and contacts. Acquisition By Facebook in 2014
In 2014, Facebook completed its purchase mobile messaging service WhatsApp for up to USD$22 billion (£13.7 billion) in cash and stock in the firms biggest ever acquisition. Facebook which is owned by Mark Zuckerberg however agreed that WhatsApp would continue to exist as a separate service. This was an increase on the $19 billion (£11.8 billion) initially announced as Facebook's share price rose since the deal was first announced. Facebook will pay $4.59 billion (£2.86 billion) in cash and 177,760,669 shares in the company, which have risen to $77 (£48) since February. WhatsApp-WhatsApp Plus Saga
WhatsApp+ Plus is a re-invention of the popular WhatsApp. The application, is not available in Google Play Store as it has no relation to the original WhatsApp can be downloaded for free from a website that they have setup. WhatsApp has complained about it 'piggy backing' its service.
The side-loaded (method of loading an application through another method besides Google Play, the official android app store) allows users to change lots of colours, sizes, and many other visual MODs. You can increase the upload media limit (the original WhatsApp file limit is 16Mb) to send large music files or videos. You can increase quality of sent pictures (by default resolution is decreased quite a lot). You can share music just with one click. You can add contact profile pictures to their chats (Facebook Messenger style). You can hide contact profile pictures and show phonebook pictures.
WhatsApp has for some time now not provided an API (Application Programming Interface) that will allow external apps to link and intergrate to and even gone to the extent of threatening developers who have created and provided one.
In retaliation to the third-party app, WhatsApp have temporarily banned users who were using the application:
You're temporarily banned from WhatsApp because you may have violated our terms of service. You'll be able to use WhatsApp again in: insert time
They then went on to post a message advising users of the ban and what to do in order to be reconnected to the service.
Why am I banned for using WhatsApp Plus and how do I get unbanned?Some Facts About WhatsApp
WhatsApp Plus is an application that was not developed by WhatsApp, nor is it authorized by WhatsApp. The developers of WhatsApp Plus have no relationship to WhatsApp, and we do not support WhatsApp Plus. Please be aware that WhatsApp Plus contains source code which WhatsApp cannot guarantee as safe and that your private information is potentially being passed to 3rd parties without your knowledge or authorization. Please uninstall your application and install an authorized version of WhatsApp from our website or Google Play. Then, you will be able to use WhatsApp.
- An Average of 1 million new users are registered everyday
- About 30 Billion Messages are sent via the app daily
- About 34 Billion Messages are received via app only
- WhatsApp's Record for most processed messages was 64 Billion messages
- About 700million photos are shared everyday
- 200 Million messages are sent daily
- 100 million videos are shared daily
- An average user spends about 195 minutes on WhatsApp weekly
- WhatsApp employs only 50 people
- India has about 70 million active WhatsApp users.
- WhatsApp revenue in 2014 was US$15.9 million
- 40% of Italian divorcees cited WhatsApp messages as evidence.
- , About WhatsApp,WhatsApp,retrieved:21 Jan 2015"
- , Facebook completes its $22 billion acquisition of WhatsApp after European regulators give the green light,Mail Online, published:6 Oct 2014,retrieved:21 Jan 2015"
- FAQs, Why am I banned for using WhatsApp Plus and how do I get unbanned?, Frequently Asked Questions, Published: No date given, Retrieved: 21 Jan 2015
- Mohammed Al-Kalbani, WhatsApp Plus Website, WhatsApp-Plus, Published: No date given, Retrieved: 21 Jan 2015
- The H Security, WhatsApp threatens legal action against API developers, h-online.com, Published: 25 Sep 2012, Retrieved: 21 Jan 2015
- , Stats,retrieved:'21 Jan 2015"