|Native name||Wallace Chirumiko|
|Born||February 1, 1983|
|Occupation(s)||Zimdancehall Artist, Songwriter|
|Years active||1999 to present|
Winky D is an award-winning Zimbabwe Dancehall artist popularly known as the Ninja President for his poverty biting and poverty protesting lyrics. He is also well known for his energetic live performances which have seen him performing in numerous countries around the world.
- 1 Background
- 2 Education
- 3 Early life
- 4 Early career
- 5 Discography
- 6 Success
- 7 Winky D's Videos
- 8 Controversies
- 9 Latest News
- 10 Latest Articles Created on Pindula
- 11 References
Winky D, became interested in music when he was 8 and took pleasure in collecting reggae audio tapes and vinyls.
When he was 16, he performed at the Ghetto Lane Clashes which were DJ battles meant to showcase the best emerging talent. He instantly made fans as he continued participating in similar platforms. It was from these shows where he earned the name 'Wicked Deejay' which was shortened Winky D for his powerful lyrics. When he started recording, his music had explicit lyrics and extolled violence, gangsterism and promiscuity. He however changed and started singing gospel music from 2013, and songs urging youths to shun using drugs.
- Gafa Life Kicks Tape (2015) Produced by Oskid
- Igofigo 'the Unthinkable' (October 2010)
- Twenty Eleven Singles Compilation (April 2011)
- Pakitchen (November 2011)
- Life Yangu (October 2012)
- Say No Single
Having born in the ghetto, his music speaks about the everyday struggles of a ghetto child. He devoted his music to poor people’s trials and tribulations and pursuit of happiness.
In February 2015, he unleashed his 2015's theme which is based on releasing singles. He however faced numerous set-backs when he was deserted by some of his band members. He outclassed his arch rival, Seh Calaz at the Harare International Carnival's Zimdancehall night which was held in the Harare Gardens in May 2014.
Winky D has been celebrated by many young Zimdancehall artists for being one of the pioneers of the genre in the country. He is also one of the long serving musicians in the industry with more than a decade of experience, He has also performed in different continents such as Europe and the Americas.
Disappear Success (Gafa Life 2015)
In 2015, Winky D's fame soared with the release of the album Gafa Life which featured the song Disappear. The album was produced by new producer at the time Oskid. The song topped the charts in Zimbabwe and was also in the BBC Radio 1 Extra Destination Africa Top 5. The song won both the NAMA 2016 Best song of year and Zimdancehall Awards 2016 Song of the year awards.
Gafa Life Songs
- Gafa Life
- Survivor (feat Shinsoman)
- NAMA 2016 Best Song of Year for Disappear
- Zimdancehall Awards 2016 Song of the year for Disappear
- 2014 Zimdancehall Awards for the song Rokesheni.
- NAMA for the album Igofigo and People’s Choice Award in 2010
- 2013 Zim Dancehall awards for:
- Best video-Vashakabvu
- Best Social Message-Mafirakureva
- Best Live Performer
- Best Artist and the Best Artist Manager-Banda.
2015 Zimdancehall Awards for
- Best Dressed Artist
- Honorary Award
- Best Live Performer Award
- Best Artist Manager Award
Winky was endorsed to be the goodwill ambassador of the PSI Zimbabwe in the male circumcision campaign in 2011. He has appered on various television commercials and on radio stations campaigning for male circumcision as part of the organisation's agenda to reduce HIVand AIDS.
Winky D's Videos
It was allegedly reported that he was snubbing his circumcision shows on behalf of PSI on the basis that he was partnered by his 'arch rival', Jah Prayzah. Jah Prayzah however dispelled this. It was reported that Winky D has been driving for years without a driver;s license dodging members of the Zimbabwe Republic Police, Traffic Section. On 16 January 2015, his instructor confirmed that Winky D was issued a class 4 drivers license in Chinhoyi.
Latest Articles Created on Pindula
- Bond Notes
- Kudakwashe Kambakunje
- Nicola Ndoro
- DJ Smylie
- David Mangota
- Paul Mavima
- Fani Munengami
- Demetria Hamandishe
- Godfatha Templeman
- Perence Shiri
- Tilda Moyo
- Phathisani Sibanda
- Yvonne Mangunda
- Frederick Mutanda
- Winky D one of the most nominated artist at the 10th NAMA Awards
- The Truth About: Winky D
- Winky D’s young brother Layan joins Star FM
- [ttp://www.last.fm/music/Winky+D/+wiki Winky D]
- WHATS GOING ON WITH WINKY D?
- Winky D Albums - Discography
- Who is Winky D?
- Tafadzwa Zimoyo, Winky D's 2015 plan, "The Herald", Published:4 Feb 2015,Retrieved:4 February 2015"
- Mtandazo Dube, Winky-D deserted, "The Sunday Mail", Published:3 Aug 2014,Retrieved:4 February 2015"
- Jonathan Mbiriyamveka, Seh Calaz skinned alive, "The Herald", Published:26 May 2014,Retrieved:4 February 2015"
- Dakarai Mashava, Winky D breaks into BBC chart], Daily News, Published: 18 Jan 2016, Retrieved: 4 February 2016
- William Chui, Though 21 Sec, This Is The Best Cover Of Winky D’s “Disappear” Yet…, Newsvyb, Published: 10 Jan 2016, Retrieved: 4 Feb 2016
- William Chui, Tariro neGitare Couldn’t Let This One Go By And Added Her Voice To It…, Newsvyb, Published: 13 Jan 2016, Retrieved: 4 Feb 2016
- Tafadzwa Zimoyo Trio Dominates Zim Dancehall Awards, The Herald, Published: March 9, 2015, Retrieved: March 10, 2015
- Winky D snubs circumcision shows over Jah Prayzah, "New Zimbabwe", Published:13 Apr 2014,Retrieved:4 February 2015"
- Nunurai Jena, Winky D no longer dodging traffic cops, "NewsDay", Published:17 Jan 2015,Retrieved:4 February 2015"