Cristiano Ronaldo Avoids Prosecution Over Sexual Assault Allegations
Portuguese and Juventus striker Cristiano Ronaldo will not face prosecution over allegations of sexual assault in Las Vegas 10 years ago according to lawyers.
The Five-time Ballon d’ or winner was in September last year accused of sexually assaulting American woman Kathryn Mayorga in a hotel room in Las Vegas in June 2009.
Ronaldo denied the allegations, saying at the time that rape is “an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in”.
The investigation into the sexual assault was initially closed in 2009 because video evidence believed to show interactions between the alleged attacker and victim before and after the crime was lost.
However, the case was reopened in August last year, and the following month Ms Mayorga filed a civil lawsuit offering details she initially withheld.
She said she had gained the courage to speak out because of the #MeToo movement.
A statement from the Clark County District Attorney’s Office said on Monday:
Based upon a review of the information presented at this time, the allegations of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
Therefore, no charges will be forthcoming.
However, the civil case is still open for the former Manchester United and Real Madrid star.