Zimbabwean-born Cllr Kate Nicholl Is The Next Belfast Lord Mayor
The next lord mayor of Belfast is to be the Zimbabwean-born Alliance Party councillor, Kate Nicholl.
She is the first person in recent times to hold the position who was not born in the UK or Ireland.
Ms Nicholl, 33, grew up in Marondera, in Zimbabwe, but when violence broke out in 2000, she left the country with her mother and moved to Belfast.
Speaking on the post, Kate Nicholl said:
_It is a vibrant, diverse, multi-cultural city and I think the fact that the Lord Mayor of Belfast, the first citizen, is someone who wasn’t born here who has chosen to make it my home and who has really embraced the city is really positive. And it is positive a message to all other newcomers and everyone else who chooses to make this amazing city their home. That, you know, you embrace it and it is as much yours as someone who maybe has lived here their whole life._
Get Pindula News on our WhatsApp Channel
Subscribe here: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Va84dngJP21B2nWeyM3v
- Zimbabwean-Born Woman Wins Council Seat In UK Elections
- Zimbabwe Pledges Support For UK-Based Investors
- UK’s Peter Hain Applies For More Sanctions On Zimbabwe
- UK-based Zimbabwean Actor Tanya Fear Reclaims Her Full Name
- “Let’s Close The Land Reform Chapter,” Ex-White Farmer Tells ZANU PF
- Zimbabwe Begins Paying White Former Commercials Farmers For Land Reform. RTGS $55,000 Each
- 34-Year-Old UK-Based Zimbabwean Makes Supercar
- UK-Based Zimbabwean Tech Whiz Invents Self-Driving Vehicle