Govt Extends Kwekwe Lockdown By Another Two Weeks
The government has extended the lockdown on Kwekwe District by a further two weeks following a rise in new coronavirus infections.
Speaking during a post-cabinet media briefing in Harare on Tuesday evening, Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services Minister Monica Mutsvangwa said cabinet has approved the extension. Said Mutsvangwa:
The nation is informed that Cabinet has approved that the lockdown in Kwekwe be extended by a further two weeks.
The development comes in the wake of a surge in positive cases in Kwekwe, which to date has 74 cumulative cases, 70 active cases, 3 recoveries and 1 death.
It is highlighted that the Indian Variant has been detected in some of the new cases.
On 21 May, the Minister of Health and Child Care, Vice President Constantino Chiwenga announced a two-week localised lockdown for Kwekwe and a longer curfew.
The development followed the emergence of the deadly Delta coronavirus variant, previously known as B.1.617.2 or the Indian variant, in the city.
Also Read: VP Chiwenga Announces Localised 14-day Lockdown For Kwekwe
The government banned all gatherings including weddings, church services and all other public and private groupings.
Businesses were allowed to open from 8 am to 5 pm, a curfew running from 7 pm to 6 am was put in place, while drinking places – beer halls and bottle stores were closed and travellers through Kwekwe were advised to spend as little time as possible in the city.
Also Read: Protest Over Kwekwe Lockdown After COVID-19 Scare
Chiwenga also directed that all funerals be supervised by health personnel and should not gather more than 30 people.