"Delimitation Report A ZANU-PF Scheme To Maintain Two-thirds Majority In Parliament" - ZDI
The Zimbabwe Democracy Institute (ZDI) has claimed that the final delimitation report that was gazetted by President Emmerson Mnangagwa on Monday 20 February 2023 is a ZANU-PF scheme to maintain a two-thirds majority in Parliament.
In a series of Twitter posts seen by Pindula News, ZDI the approach used by the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission (ZEC) was meant to avoid the collapse of constituencies in areas regarded as ZANU PF strongholds. We present the posts:
1. @ZECzim final delimitation report gazetted by President Mnangagwa on the 20th of February 2023 can best be understood as a ZANU-PF scheme for maintaining a two-thirds majority in Parliament. Three observations in the ZEC’s final delimitation report corroborate this argument.Feedback
2. First is that, ZEC deliberately applies 2007/8 total seats per province as its basis in coming up with the 2023 framework for allocating constituencies and sticks to its erroneous application of section 161(6).
3. There is no justifiable reason for adopting this framework other than the desire to avoid loss of constituencies from ZANU-PF stronghold provinces needed to secure a two-thirds majority in Parliament.
Get Pindula News on our WhatsApp Channel
Subscribe here: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Va84dngJP21B2nWeyM3v
4. Second is that, ZEC disregarded adult population dynamics per province presented in the 2022 census when it allocated constituencies per province. If it was used, 7 seats were going to be transferred from ZANU PF stronghold provinces to the opposition stronghold provinces
5. Third is that, ZEC disregarded registered voter proportions per province in the total national voter population in coming up with its constituency allocation framework.
Leave a CommentGenerate a Whatsapp Message
Buy Phones on Credit.More Deals