Lumumba William Gerald Mutumanje aka Acie Lumumba is a Zimbabwean politician and media personality. He is a former member of the Zimbabwe African National Union Patriotic Front (ZANU PF). He has been accused of misappropriation of funds and corruption on a number of occasions.
September 29, 1988
|Education||Hatfield Primary School|
In October of 2018, Mthuli Ncube the Minister of Finance and Economic Development appointed Lumumba as the chairman of the ministry's 'Communications Taskforce,  only to fire him 3 days later.
- 1 Background
- 2 Media and Broadcasting Career
- 3 Political career
- 4 Successes
- 5 Arrest on
- 6 Involvement in Corruption
- 7 Expulsion From Viva Zimbabwe
- 8 Chair of the Ministry of Finance and Economic Development Communications task force
- 9 Sacking
- 10 Trivia
Acie Lumumba was born Lumumba William Gerald Mutumanje on 29 September 1988,he has 6 siblings.He grew up in a family that strongly supports Zanu- PF and left the country at the age of 16 to pursue his studies abroad.It was reported that Lumumba had a son at 21 years and he grew up in Epworth.
The truthfulness of his name has been doubted in Zimbabwe with some claiming he changed his name from just William Mutumanje to benefit from the association of Congolese Pan-Africanist Patrice Lumumba. However, Lumumba's own accounts of his childhood differ. An example is a media report in the Standard of 21 July 2013 where he was reported to have indicated that he was born in Hatfield. The same report indicates he is a first-generation Zimbabwean having been born to a Zimbabwean mother and father of Congolese origin..In 2016, Lumumba reported that he later discovered that the man he grew up knowing as his father was actually a stepfather and that his real father was a man from Chivi in Masvingo..
Media and Broadcasting Career
He started his broadcasting career with Star FM, a radio station in Zimbabwe where he was appointed Head of Political Affairs. He held a number of interviews with politicians and analysts about topical issues such as indigenization, elections, factionalism and succession.
Lumumba made headlines when he won the Zanu-PF primary elections in the 2013 harmonized elections. He became one of the youngest contestants in the elections at the age of 25. He was reported to have said that he believed that he was part of the new initiative by the ruling party led by president Robert Mugabe, to inject new and young blood into the revolutionary party. He however lost the seat to Tapiwa Mashakada of the Movement for Democratic Change party. In 2009, he was brought in by the ministry of Youth, Indigenisation and Empowerment as special advisor to the then minister Saviour Kasukuwere. In 2012, he was appointed chairman of the Zimbabwe Youth Council Harare province and this allowed him to work closely with members of the community. Lumumba seized the opportunity to set forth his political agenda as he began to amass support at the grassroots level resulting in his victory in the primary elections held in 2013.
Dismissal from Steering Committee
After being fired as chairman of a Steering Committee on the Zimbabwe Youth Empowerment Strategy for Investment, Lumumba released a video on Facebook accusing the Youth, Indigenisation and Economic Empowerment Minister Patrick Zhuwao of being corrupt.
On 20 May 2016, Lumumba had Zanu-PF. Lumumba said his reason was that party had failed the ordinary people. [Read More]
In a survey conducted by the Zimbabwe Institute of Research in 2014, Lumumba was identified as one of the most influential young people in the country.
In 2014, Lumumba was arrested by the police on assault charges. He was alleged to have assaulted a reveller in city pub after a dispute.
Insulting Robert Mugabe with F-word
In late June 2016 at the launch of his political party, Viva Zimbabwe, Lumumba insulted Mugabe using the f-word.
Forging a Vehicle Registration Document
In July 2016, Lumumba was arrested for allegedly forging a registration book for his mother’s vehicle, a Toyota Ipsum. It was alleged that Lumumba's mother asked him to sell the car on her behalf and he allegedly manufactured a fake registration before taking the vehicle to a car sale.
Involvement in Corruption
In May 2013, Lumumba, along with then Star FM Programmes Manager Tich Mataz, was suspended with immediate effect after an internal audit unearthed irregular transactions involving two companies owned by the two Hamtech Investments and Onesay Investments.
Zimbabwe Youth Council
In April 2016, Lumumba was appointed Chairman of the Steering Committee on the Zimbabwe Youth Empowerment Strategy for Investment. He was however fired following allegations of conflict of interest and misappropriating funds meant for the Zimbabwe Youth Council (ZYC).
Expulsion From Viva Zimbabwe
Acie Lumumba was fired from VIVA for belittling other opposition parties and also because of his intentions to rejoin Zanu-PF.
Honorary Doctorate Degree
In 2014, Lumumba along with 9 other Zimbabweans were awarded doctorates by a little-known institution; International Institute of Philanthropy for "human studies". It later emerged that the Harare-based institution was fake. Lumumba, however, continued to use the Doctor (Dr.) prefix on his name.
- In early June 2016, |H-Metro released pictures taken from a Sex Tape that Lumumba made with an unidentified woman.
In March 2018 Lumumba was arrested for alleged theft of $8 000 in a currency trading deal. It was reported that Lumumba met the complainant Graham Tineyi at the Robert Gabriel Mugabe International Airport. 
Chair of the Ministry of Finance and Economic Development Communications task force
Lumumba was appointed as the chairman of the communication task force by the Minister of Finance Mthuli Ncube. Following his appointment, Lumumba hit the ground running and in a live video that went viral on the social media platforms, announced that Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe directors were feeding the black market with bond notes.
He went on to name Mirirai Chiremba, Norman Mataruka, Gresham Muradzikwa and Azvinandawa Saburi as the chief culprits behind parallel markets nefarious activities. This saw RBZ Governor Dr John Mangudya suspend the four to pave way for investigations.
Finance and Economic Development Minister Professor Mthuli Ncube allegedly dumped Acie Mutumanje Lumumba, as chairman of the Communications Taskforce in the ministry, three days after his appointment. The appointment of Lumumba drew brickbats from different sectors of society with questions raised over his credentials to run the high-profile portfolio in the ministry. Ncube was placed under pressure to cut Lumumba loose.
- Lumumba was reported to have indicated that he doesn't drink or smoke and that he doesn't go to nightclubs
Today's Top Pindula News2019-02-23T21:01:28Z
- Mthuli Ncube appoints Acie Lumumba, Bulawayo24 News, retrieved: 23 Oct 2018
- Elias Mambo, Lumumba speaks out, Zimbabwe Independent, Published:April 29 2016 , Retrieved: 15 May 2016
- , Acie Lumumba, Published: No date given , Retrieved:16 Dec 2014
- PATRICE MAKOVA, More promises as poll fever grips Zim, The Standard, Published: 21 Jul 2013, Retrieved: 28 Jul 2015
- A. Lumumba, Hon Acie Lumumba, Facebook, Published:12 December 2014, Retrieved:16 December 2014
- F. Lupande, Lumumba in Court on Assault Charges "The Herald", published:30 Aug 2014,retrieved:16 Dec 2014"
- Harare Bureau (July 9 , 2016). "Lumumba arrested again". The Chronicle. Retrieved November 16, 2017. Check date values in:
- Star FM suspends Tich Mataz, The Herald, Published: 15 May 2013, Retrieved: 21 April 2016
- Melody Mashaire, Lumumba fired from youth committee, The Herald , , Published:21 April 2016, Retrieved: 21 April 2016
- [ https://news.pindula.co.zw/2017/11/30/viva-zimbabwe-fires-acie-lumumba-immediate-effect/ ], VIVA Zimbabwe fires Acie Lumumba with immediate effect , Published: November 30 2017 , Retrieved: 30 November 2017
- Acie Lumumba interviewed by Ruvheneko Parirenyatwa on The PlatformZi-FM Stereo, Published:4 May 2016, Retrieved:22 May 2016
- Everson Mushava, Fake degrees for Tuku, Makandiwa’s wife and 9 others?NewsDay, Published: July 8 2014,Retreived:22 May 2016
- Acie Lumumba In Court For Stealing $8 000, PindulaNews, Published: 13 March 2018 , Retrieved: 13 March 2018