September 10, 1968
Alexander "Cool Ruler" Maseko is a former Zimbabwean footballer who used to play for Highlanders Football Club and the senior national team the Warriors as a defender. He is based in South Africa. Maseko owns Focus Sports Management.
After completing his O’Level’s at Mpopoma High School, Maseko joined DRG Viking, a football team which was in the lower leagues where he was offered employment as a dispatch clerk in 1982. In 1983 he joined Highlanders Football Club for a then staggering 500 Zimbabwean dollars and spent the season playing for Highlander's reserve side. He played his first premier league game for Highlanders in 1984 as a defensive midfielder. It was only when Douglas Mloyi, who was the central defender, got injured that Maseko started playing as a defender. He left Bosso to join Darryn Tornadoes in 1988 before rejoining Highlanders in 1990 where they won the league championship. In 1991, Maseko was signed by South African premiership gaints, Mamelodi Sundowns until he got injured in 1996. He won the championship with Sundowns in 1993. After recovering from the injury he decided to hang up his boot though he however joined Vodacom in 1997 until he decided to quit in 2012. He launched a management firm called Focus Sports Management which manages players' careers. Maseko also coached Randburg on a voluntary basis.
National Team Career
- He used to love CAPS United Football Club when he was growing up
- Maseko prefers the R&B music genre
- I will never take up coaching — Maseko, Standard, Published: September 22, 2013, Retrieved: September 8, 2015
- Maseko speaks out, The Zimbabwean, Published: October 24, 2007, Retrieved: September 8, 2015
- Titshabona Malaba Ncube, Interview with Alexander Zanda Maseko the Cool Ruler, Bulawayo24, Published: December 7, 2013, Retrieved: September 8, 2015