Deaf Zimbabwe Trust (DZT) is a voluntary organization that promotes the rights and interest of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (DHH) people in Zimbabwe.
It was formed in 2012 by parents of Deaf children and began operations as registered Trust in 2013. Initially the organization was formed to advance the rights of Deaf children. After wide consultation, the leadership of DZT realized that Deaf adults had a lot of challenges and very little was being done to help them achieve their potential. As a result of this realization, Deaf Zimbabwe Trust reconfigured its activities to include all the Deaf in Zimbabwe.
DZT works across four programming areas which are:
- Deaf Education Programme.
- Sign Language Programme.
- Disability Rights Programme.
- Women Leadership and Empowerment Programme.
- Research, Media and Communication Programme.
Transformation and empowerment of Deaf and hard of hearing people for independent living through provision of education, changing societal attitudes through awareness raising and advocacy, service provision and sustainable initiatives.
An inclusive society which respects diversity where all Deaf and Hard of Hearing people enjoy equal rights & choices, opportunities, dignity and independence.
- By equality we mean – Both Deaf and hearing people are equal and therefore should have equal access to opportunities without discrimination.
- By respect and tolerance – We are all equal human beings worthy of dignity and therefore we should respect our differences and embrace diversity.
- By Accountability we mean – We are accountable to all the stakeholders that we are directly or indirectly associated with.
- By Teamwork we mean – Unity of purpose in the organisation.
- By Excellence we mean – We strive to deliver quality service and products to all our stakeholders.
- To build a sustainable organisation with adequate resources by 2025;
- To influence policy change for suitable accommodations for Deaf people;
- To establish a suitable learning environment for the Deaf through the DZT school for the Deaf Education programme.
- To increase awareness of issues affecting the Deaf and hard of hearing.
Board of Directors
- Barbra Nyangairi - Executive Director
- Runyararo Munetsi
- Sindile Kevin Mhlanga
- Choice Ndoro
- P Chiwawa Dzheka
- Netsai Kembo
These are the people in the day to day running of the affairs in our organization and they make sure we have aligned our work towards the programming areas. They strive to offer the best of efforts towards reaching our goals.
- Executive Director - Barbra Nyangairi
- Finance and Administration Manager - Perpetual Charuma
- Programmes Manager - Paidamoyo Chimhini
- Education Programmes Officer - Mirirai Edith Nyabvure
- Finance And Administration Officer - Valentine Makubaza
- Legal Officer - Isaacs Mwale
- Programmes Assistant - Merlen Chamutinya
Access to Health
Deaf Zimbabwe Trust (DZT) works to ensure that the DHH have access to health information through IEC and interpreters to enhance communication as well increasing awareness of the Deaf and their needs in health care provision.
Women Leadership and Empowerment
Deaf Zimbabwe Trust (DZT) works to ensure that women with disabilities have access to a better livelihoods through empowerment and support on economical activities and income generating project.
- PHYSICAL ADDRESS - 12 Victory Avenue, Greendale, Athlone, Harare, Zimbabwe
- Telephone: +263 (242) 448 293
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://deafzimbabwetrust.org/
- , Deaf Zimbabwe Trust, Accessed: 9 September, 2020