December 20, 1966
|Known for||Youth development|
|Notable work||winning the first silverware for Bosso since 2005|
|Children||He has 2 children|
Erol Akbay is the former head coach of Highlanders Football Club which plays in the Zimbabwe Premier Soccer League. Akbay is known for his excellent qualifications in club development and has great experience in grooming players. He started coaching in the Netherlands at the age of 20 after playing football as a youth from a tender age.
Erol Akbay was born on 20 December 1966 At the age of 7, he relocated with his parents from Turkey to Holland. He moved from his home in Amsterdam, Holland and arrived in Zimbabwe in February 2016 to take over the work of interim manager at Bosso
Erol is married and has 2 children
The Dutchman started coaching in 1997 where he started as a coach for youth development at a small club called Heracle Amelo's in the second division of the Dutch league where he spent 6 years at the club before being appointed as head coach of second division side HVV Hengelo for the 2002-2003 season and led them to a fifth position finish. He changed scenery when he relocated to Barbaros as a technical advisor between 2008-2011 and the coach was only to return to HVV Hengelo in 2011 as head coach and stayed there for 3 seasons. His three years at the club saw him achieving a seventh-place finish in his season and fifth in both the second and third seasons.  He began coaching at Highlanders in 2016 after his paperwork was processed and confirmed, the coach was fully credited for by his assistant Amini Soma-Phiri who was holding the fort in his absence. Highlanders won their first piece of silverware the 2016 season when they successfully defended the ZNA Charities Shield in a final beating Harare City 4-2 on penalties at Barbourfields Stadium under the coaching of Akbay. In Netherlands Akbay commonly enjoyed playing a possession style of play because the dutchman believes that teamwork is a key to success and consistency in winning.
- Heracles Almelo’s Football Club Under-19 team (1997-1999)
- Heracles Almelo’s Football Club Under-17 team (1999-2000)
- Under-10 to Under-19 age-groups Heracles Almelo’s Football Club (2000-2002)
- HVV Hengelo 2002-2003 season and led them to a fifth position finish, and also led the club t
- Barbaros (2008-11)
- HV Hengelo(2011-2014)
- Highlanders Football Club (2016-2017)
- Ngezi Platinum (2019)
Great Achievements With Highlanders FC
- Akbay's tactical prowess brought Highlanders’ first win against DeMbare in a league match since 2006.
- 7 game winning streak in PSL league tittle chase.
- Highlanders head coach Erol Akbay scooped the Coach of the Month award for April 
Dissmisal From Ngezi Platinum
Erol Joined Ngezi Platinum during the beginning of the 2019 season.. In September 2019, Erol was dismissed from the Mhondoro based stars. The Club president announced that Akbay's departure from the team was a mutual agreement between him and the team leaders.  By the time of his dismissal at Ngezi, The team he was coaching had 8 wins, 8 draws and 7 losses in 23 matches played.
He believes that the training field for Highlanders fc is a big problem and if you want to do well in football, you have to train on a nice pitch and this is a big problem in Zimbabwe
- The Chronicle Dutchman promises Bosso revolution, Published 28 February 2016, Retrieved 27 July 2016
- The Chronicle,Dutchman mere lower league coach, Published 21 October 2015, Retrieved: 27 July 2016
- The Chronicle,[ http://www.chronicle.co.zw/dutchman-mere-lower-league-coach/The Dutchman mere lower league coach],Published 21 October 2015, Retrieved: 27 July 2016
- Sunday News here Bosso coach Akbay arrives, Published 14 February 2016, Retrieved: 27 July 2016
- The Daily News lift ZNA Charities Shiels, Published 26 July 2016, Retrieved: 27 July 2016
- , , Published:31 May 2016 , Retrieved: 27 July 2016
- The Herald settle for Akbay, Published 04 December 2018, Retrieved 26 September 2019
- The Chronicle, Chikuni Leave Ngezi Published 18 September 2019, Retrieved 26 September 2019