Herbert Chitepo School of Ideology also referred to as Chitepo Ideological College' or Chitepo School of Ideology is a Zanu-PF affiliated institution. The institution is named after liberation hero Herbert Chitepo.
The establishment of the Chitepo Ideological College was mooted soon after Zimbabwe gained independence in 1980. When war veterans met with Robert Mugabe in April 2016, they also said there was the need to immediately operationalise the Chitepo Ideological College without necessary waiting for the construction of a structure.
They said there was a deterioration of patriotism and understanding of the Zanu-PF ideology within its structures particularly by those who did not participate in the liberation struggle.
In 2016, a resolution was passed by ZANU-PF that no candidate would represent the party in national elections without passing through the Herbert Chitepo School of Ideology. Zanu-PF House of Assembly representatives attended a three-month course that began in July 2016.
Before the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic, the Herbert Chitepo School of Ideology used to conduct face to face orientation lectures at the party headquarters and across Zimbabwe's 10 provinces. In August 2021, the Chitepo School of Ideology said it had started conducting virtual orientation lectures for its members including those in the Diaspora.
DCC Training Programme
In April 2021, the Hebert Chitepo School of Ideology announced the launch of a District Coordinating Committee training programme. The DCC members would be trained together with Local Government officials compromising the following; the Party District Coordination Committees, Chairman of the Rural District Council (RDC), Chief Executive Officer (RDC), District Development Coordinator (DCC) and Local Chiefs.
By the end of the training programme participants were expected to be able to:
- Carry out vigorous mobilisation programmes within their districts in order to achieve the five (5) million voter population for ZANU PF in year 2023.
- Create a synergy and bonding between the Party DCC structure and Local Government officials in pursuit of economic developmental goals in line with Vision 2030.
- Create a wider Ward Based Training human resource in order to participate in the forthcoming Ward Based Train the Trainer Programme.
- Lloyd Gumbo, Ideological College begins, The Herald, Published: June 11, 2016, Retrieved: October 18, 2021
- Joseph Madzimure, Chitepo School of Ideology goes virtual, The Herald, Published: August 30, 2021, Retrieved: October 18, 2021
- FULL TEXT: Chitepo School Of Ideology Launches DCC Training, Pindula News, Published: April 6, 2021, Retrieved: October 19, 2021