|Occupation||Mayor of Johannesburg|
|Employer||City of Johannesburg|
|Known for||Being Johannesburg Mayor|
|Term||10 August 2021-|
Jolidee Matongo was a South African politician who was elected City of Johannesburg mayor in August 2021.
Matongo held a diploma in public management, a postgraduate degree in public management from Unisa and a postgraduate diploma in management from the Milpark Business School. When he was elected Mayor he was said to be studying towards a master’s degree in public administration at MANCOSA.
Jolidee Matongo was a member of the Soweto Student Congress and the Congress of South African Students (Cosas) before moving on to serve as the regional head of communications in the ANC for eight years. Matongo served as the ANC's Johannesburg spokesperson while Parks Tau was mayor and when the ANC was in opposition while the DA governed the City from 2016 to 2019. Jolidee Matongo held a number of leadership positions in the regional ANC Youth League.
Career As Mayor
He was elected as a councillor in 2016. On Tuesday 10 August 2021, Jolidee Matongo was elected City of Johannesburg mayor. He had previously served as the city's mayoral committee member for finance since 2019. He became the third mayor in the City since the local government elections in 2016, with the City first being led by former DA member Herman Mashaba, followed by Geoff Makhubo, who died in July 2021 from Covid-19-related complications at the age of 53.
The ANC, with 124 seats in the council, required an additional 12 votes from other parties to install Matongo. He was the ANC's preferred candidate for mayor after he and fellow candidates Salphina Mulaudzi and Mpho Moerane were interviewed by the ANC’s national officials.
He has held various positions in the City, including operations manager in the housing department and deputy director of youth development.
On 18 September 2021, Jolidee Matongo died in a car accident aged 46. Matongo had earlier accompanied President Cyril Ramaphosa in Soweto, to campaign for the ANC ahead of the 2021 municipal elections.
- Greg Nicolson, New Joburg mayor Jolidee Matongo warns officials to perform or be axed, Daily Maverick, Published: August 10, 2021, Retrieved: August 11, 2021
- Jolidee Matongo elected as Johannesburg’s new mayor, Mail&Guardian, Published: Retrieved: August 11, 2021
- Juniour Khumalo, Jolidee Matongo elected new Johannesburg mayor unopposed, News24, Published: August 10, 2021, Retrieved: August 11, 2021
- Nonkululeko Njilo, Jolidee Matongo becomes new mayor of Joburg unopposed, SowetanLive, Published: August 10, 2021, Retrieved: August 10, 2021
- Kerushun Pillay, 'It's hard to comprehend the tragedy': Ramaphosa pays tribute to Jolidee Matongo, who died in an accident, News24, Published: September 18, 2021, Retrieved: September 19, 2021