Kudakwashe Tagwirei is a Zimbabwean commodities business person with extensive interests in the energy sector. He's the founder and current Chief Executive Officer of Sakunda Holdings Group.
It is widely believed that Tagwirei has strong ties to prominent politicians in Zimbabwe African National Union - Patriotic Front as his company has been involved in government projects such as Command Agriculture 2016. in unclear circumstances.
- 1 Business Interests
- 2 Corruption Allegations
- 3 Financing Command Agriculture
- 4 Personal Life
- 5 References
Tagwirei founded Sakunda in 2005.
Landela Mining Ventures
The company is a joint venture partner in the Russian-led Darwendale platinum mine project. In October 2019, a statement issued by Great Dyke Investments (GDI), the company developing the mine, announced that Landela and Afromet JSC now have equal 50% stakes in the project. Afromet JSC is 100% owned by Russia’s investment and industrial group Vi Holding, which had spearheaded the Darwendale project since its inception in 2013.
In July 2019, it was reported that Tagwirei possibly held about 30% shares of one of Zimbabwe's largest banks, CBZ Holdings.
Prominent journalist and filmmaker, Hopewell Chin'ono posted on twitter:
“A government insider has given me documents that suggest that the CBZ shares owned by Kuda Tagwirei are now above 30%. Why is this important? These are the same people who were getting US$ at 1 to 1 at the RBZ & were running Command Agriculture where US$3b can’t be accounted for!” 
Financing Command Agriculture
Tagwirei is credited for mobilising finance for government’s Command Agriculture. Opposition parties alleged the programme to be an illegal parallel programme of the State, specifically designed to pursue a narrow electoral agenda, specifically securing a Zanu PF victory at the 2018 harmonised elections.
Under investigation by the police and the Central Intelligence Organisation
NewsDay alleged that Sakunda Holdings owner Kuda Tagwirei was under investigation by the police and the Central Intelligence Organisation. Tagwirei who has close ties to President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s administration was reported to have been called in for questioning over his alleged role in the foreign currency black market. Newsday reported that the police and CIO also wanted to raid Tagwirei’s home but were unable to do so after the businessman left Harare and accompanied Constantino Chiwenga to Wedza aboard a military helicopter.
Buying luxury Cars for Mnangagwa, Chiwenga and Mohadi
Kudakwashe Tagriwrei was reported to have bought luxury cars worth millions of dollars for Emmerson Mnangagwa, Constantino Chiwenga and Kembo Mohadi as well as for their wives and other top government officials.
Another allegation levelled was that Tagwirei also used the same opportunity to import his three luxury cars duty-free.
Large foreign currency allocation per month
In October 2018 Christopher Mutsvangwa alleged that Kudakwashe Tagwirei received the bulk of the foreign currency allocations from the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe yet he does not earn any forex himself. Mutsvangwa said that Tagwirei’s business takes away money from the people who earn the actual foreign currency such as tobacco farmers and gold panners.
Kudakwashe Tagwirei’s father Phineas Tagwirei passed away in 2018. He succumbed to prostate cancer at Trauma Centre in Borrowdale. His father's death halted government business as virtually all ministers abandoned their workstations to attend his burial. Emmerson Mnangagwa and Constantino Chiwenga also attended the funeral.
- Sakunda to increase agric funding - NewsDay Zimbabwe, NewsDay Zimbabwe, published: 25 Jun 2017, retrieved: 24 Oct 2018
- Tagwirei swoops on Russian-led US$500m Darwendale platinum project, NewZWire, Published: 22 Oct 2019 , Accessed: 22 Oct 2019
- Hopwell Chin'ono, A government insider has given me documents that suggest that the CBZ shares owned by Kuda Tagwirei, Twitter, Published:19 Jul 2019, Accessed:22 Oct 2019
- Tycoon causes govt shutdown, DailyNews Live, retrieved: 24 Oct 2018
- Sakunda boss Tagwirei under probe - NewsDay Zimbabwe, NewsDay Zimbabwe, published: 25 Oct 2018, retrieved: 26 Oct 2018
- Sakunda Owner Bought Luxury Cars For Mnangagwa, Vice Presidents And Spouses For Command Agriculture ⋆ Pindula News, Pindula News, published: 29 Oct 2018, retrieved: 29 Oct 2018
- Sakunda's Tagwirei Receives US$80 Million/Month Yet Gold Miners Who Earn Forex Get RTGS - Mutsvangwa ⋆ Pindula News, Pindula News, published: 29 Oct 2018, retrieved: 29 Oct 2018