Lady Squanda is an award-winning artist and one of the very few popular female artists in the male-dominated Zimdancehall music genre. The self-proclaimed Queen of Zimdancehall has performed popular tracks such as Ndinovhaira. She has been dogged with controversy, from fights over men to use of provocative and vulgar language in her songs. Lady Squanda has said her inspiration as a musician is Jamaican female reggae artists, Lady Saw.
|Birth name||Sandra Muchaneta Gazi|
November 21, 1991|
|Origin||Mutoko father's rural home|
|Occupation(s)||Zimdancehall Artist, Songwriter|
|Years active||2009 - present|
- 1 Backround
- 2 Education
- 3 Discography
- 4 Awards
- 5 Controversies and Scandals
- 6 Allegations of Stealing Songs
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Picture Gallery
- 9 Lady Squanda's Videos
Born Sandra Muchaneta Gazi on 22 November 1991, Lady Squanda was raised by her maternal grandmother Eunice Tomana in Chitungwiza after her mother would pass away when she was just 5 years old. She would only get to know her father in 2014 when they reunited. Lady Squanda began performing at the age of fifteen. She soon became known for her slack style, with songs such as Cracker. Her breakthrough came when she performed at Zim Sum Fest in 2011 held year at the Zimbabwe Grounds in Highfields, Harare. She is said to be the mother of a child.
Currently no information is available about the singers education. Please edit if you have any information.
- The queen pon top
- Havadi kundiona ndichifara
- Unondipukuta musodzi
- Broken english
- Muera soko
- Rasta Mukai
- Tamba neni
- Kukunaya here
- Ndasimudza mureza
- Mwana iwewe
- with Freeman- Exclusive dub
- with Mostaff - Nyoka negavi
- with Magikal - Kunge Jenjere
- with Freeman - Pembe
- with Xtra Large - Ndokudawo
- with Nox Guni - Tamba neni
2013 Zim Dancehall Awards
- Best Female Award
2014 Zim Dancehall Awards
- Best Female Award
Controversies and Scandals
Squanda ended her marriage to Leeroy "DJ Staera" Pasi in August 2013. DJ Staera accussed Squanda of loose morals. Barely a month after their separation, it was reported in the media that Squanda had found new love in the form of a man that was only identified as TJ. She announced this new found love via her WhatsApp status.
Fight with fellow Zimdancehall Artist
At the Star FM Dancehall Remedy first anniversary celebrations at the Mbare Netball Complex held in August 2014, Squanda turned violent and attacked Lipsy when she hit her on the head after which she collapsed resulting in a police report being filed. Although Squanda claimed that Lipsy had initially called her a bitch via a WhatsApp message, Lipsy denied making contact with Squanda claiming that it was actually her first encounter with Squanda. The rift between the two artists was also attributed to the fact that the pair was allegedly dating the same guy only identified as Bolo.
In November 2014, Squanda exchanged blows with fellow artist Bounty Lisa at Sting 2014 Clash that was held at the City Sports Centre. The fight broke out when Squanda sang some obscenities directed at Bounty Lisa during their lyrical battle.
Faking Her Death
She was the centre of controversy when she staged her own death in August 2013 and people even started circulating condolence messages on various platforms while she was apparently at a friend's house in Manyame Park. She is said to have generated a text message which read as follows: "Lady Squander was found dead yesterday after she drank rat poison. May her soul Rest in Peace, we love you girl". which was sent to most of her contacts.
Cellphones from UK
In April 2014, Lady Squanda made the headlines when she was handed cellphones by various people in the United Kingdom and told to bring them back to Zimbabwe for the relatives of the people that had entrusted her with the consignment. She was also entrusted with other items such as cosmetics and groceries but failed to deliver the goods.
Allegations of Stealing Songs
In July 2013, it was reported that she had stolen a track from fellow musician by the name Nashie. The song titled "Kuchibhorani" was at the centre of the storm, Nashie alleged that he had approached Squanda to offer assistance on the production of the song but Squanda charged too much for her services forcing Nashie to release the track on his own. Squanda is said to have gone on to produce her own version of the song forcing Nashie to seek redress. Squanda however dismissed the allegations saying that the tracks had the same title but were very different in terms of lyrical content.
Video Assaulting Man
In mid-July 2016 a video showing her and a male companion slapping Abra Skimbo in a car for having wronged her in some way cropped up on social media. The video shows them making the guy beg for forgiveness along with other making him make other statements. The video goes on to show her make him then kiss her feet and ends with him licking under her feet. There was an outcry on social media calling for her arrest for this act. You can watch the video below:
- Squanda did not know her father up until 2014
Lady Squanda's Videos
Today's Top Pindula News2019-01-15T20:43:57Z
- Fans in for a treat...as Lady Squanda celebrates 21st, The Herald, Published: 22 Nov 2012, Retrieved: 4 Jun 2015
- Lady Squanda finds a father, NewZimbabwe, Published: August 29, 2014, Retrieved: December 26, 2014
- Lady Squanda finds new love, DailyNews, Published: 23 Sep 2013, Retrieved: 28 Jul 2015
- Lady Squanda finds new love, Daily News, Published: September 23, 2013, Retrieved: July 28, 2015
- Nyasha Kada Lady Squanda assaults Lipsy at dancehall show, Nehanda Radio, Published: August 18, 2014, Retrieved: December 26, 2014
- Sharon Kavhu Is Lady Squanda’s feud with Lipsy still about a guy?, The Sunday Mail, Published: October 6, 2014, Retrieved: December 26, 2014
- Jonathan Mbiriyamveka, Chaos at Sting 2014 clash, Daily News, Published: November 10, 2014, Retrieved: July 28, 2015
- Tawanda Marwizi Panic as Lady Squanda fakes own death, The Standard Published: August 18, 2013, Retrieved: December 26, 2014
- Esther Gomo Lady Squanda embroiled in ‘theft’ storm, Nehanda Radio, Published: April 23, 2013, Retrieved: July 28, 2015
- Lady Squanda accused of stealing track, The Chronicle, Published: July 27, 2013, Retrieved: December 26, 2014