|Masvingo Teachers College|
Masvingo, Masvingo Province, Zimbabwe, , P. O Box 760, Mutare Road, Masvingo
|Educational authority||Ministry of Higher and Tertiary Education|
|Category||Technical Tertiary Institutions|
|Medium of language||English|
|Campus||P. O Box 760, Mutare Road, Masvingo|
|Contact details: |
Establishment and Growth
The college enrolled it first 200 students in January 1981 who were enrolled in the Zimbabwe Integrated Teacher Education Course (ZINTEC). It was established within the premises of Morgenster Teachers College, which is also in Masvingo. The college began to expand and hence there was the need for space to accommodate the college's clientele. In July 1981, the college was moved to Andrew Louw. In December 1984, these students graduated.
In 1987, the college was moved to the present site in which it is located. Due to the changes that were taking place in the Ministry of Education, ZINTEC was scrapped and the college was mandated to change its courses.In January 2002, a new model of the teachers education was introduced to step up the rate of teachers production. The model was scrapped in September 2002. The college has also revamped its courses including contemporary issues and or subjects like Health and Life Skills as well as Early Childhood Development and Information and Communication Technology.
The minimum entry requirements for the Diploma in Education are five Ordinary Levels subjects with C or better including Mathematics and English Language. The college's intakes are scheduled after every 8 months and adverts for intakes are usually flighted in the local newspapers when there is to be a new intake.
When Is The Intake?
The College performs an intake after every "9 term" cycle (it takes 9 terms for one to finish the course) and there is usually an intake every year. Currently, the next intake will be in
- May 2017
How Do You Apply?
- Applications with necessary qualifications are invited by way of advertisements in national newspapers such as The Sunday Mail and The Herald 2–3 months prior to intake.
- Candidates can collect application forms at the school or download them on the internet.
- Vetting of the applications then take place and selected candidates are invited for interviews at the institution.
- At the interview candidates go through a written interview as well as an oral interview.
- The oral interview is conducted by a panel, with usually 3 people.
- An offer letter, together with requirements are sent to the successful applicants and they can go ahead and pay tuition (first term is $, subsequent terms are cheaper however)
- Limited accommodation is available, with preference being given to students that are "most deserving". An extra fee is charged for accommodation.
- Teaching Practice and Distance Education
- Theory of Education and Early Childhood Development
- Professional and Academic Studies