Organisation for Rural Association for Progress is a non-profit organisation in Zimbabwe. The organisations work in four provinces of Zimbabwe – Midlands Province, Bulawayo Province, Matabeleland North Province and Matabeleland South Province. The organisation is involved in both emergency humanitarian assistance and development work.ORAP is an affiliate of ZESN.
ORAP exists to fight all forms of poverty, principally among the rural communities of women, men and youth through the empowerment of people by facilitating their development in their cultural context.
ORAP envisions empowered grassroots communities of women, men and youth free of hunger and poverty, where the disadvantaged communities of women, men and youth should draw up their own plans and uplift themselves relying mainly on their own intellect and available resources.
To see rural communities of women, men and youth enabled to plan, implement and manage poverty alleviation strategies on a sustainable basis.
ORAP’s philosophy is made up of 7Zs and a Q derived from the isiNdebele language.
- Zihluze – examine yourself,
- Ziqoqe – mobilise yourself,
- Zenzele – do it yourself,
- Zimisele – commit yourself,
- Ziqhatshe – be self-employed,
- Zimele – be self-reliant/independent,
- Ziqhenye – be proud of yourself and your achievements and
- Qogelela – save and invest, mobilise resources, collaborate with others.