Image Via: Nehanda Radio
|Died||July 19, 2015|
Bradford Hospital, United Kingdom
|Cause of death||Brain Haemorrhage|
Sam Munyavi was a Zimbabwean born journalist who was well known for his comic column A lighter look in Saturday Herald. He was also an actor and an author.
Sam was working as a barman at council tavern when he started sending humorous articles for a newspaper column tilted Laughin It Off. He had no formal qualifications by then. Munyavi joined Zimbabwe Papers on May 1, 1988 as a reporter and rose through the ranks to become Features and Supplements Editor in 1993.
Munyavi worked as a community relations officer at Bedford Borough Council in the United Kingdom.
Munyavi's first book Laughing It Off, whose publication was funded by Culture Fund, is a collection of his articles and was launched on October 10, 2004 at the Book Cafe. He also wrote two children's books namely The Village Plantation and Nzou's Party and Other Stories which were both published by Longman Zimbabwe.
- The Village Plantation (1990)
- Laughing It Off (2004)
- Nzou's party and Other Stories
Sam died on 19 July 2015 at Bradford Hospital in the United Kingdom due to a stroke that had led to excessive bleeding in the brain. Munyavi had been a diabetic who injected himself twice a day.
- Ropafadzo Mapimhidze, Sam Munyavi buried in Rusape, NewsDay, Published: August 3, 2015, Retrieved: August 3, 2015
- Ropafadzo Mapimhidze, Veteran journalist succumbs to stroke, NewsDay, Published: July 21, 2015, Retrieved: August 3, 2015
- Ropafadzo Mapimhidze, Sam Munyavi: Remembering ‘A Lighter Look’, NewsDay, Published: July 23, 2015, Retrieved: August 3, 2015