|Known for||Being Obert Mpofu's wife|
Sikhanyisiwe Mpofu's father was a carpenter but he became blind when she was in Form Two. Mpofu's mother was an active member at the United Congregational Church of Southern Africa (UCCSA). Sikhanyiwe Mpofu's mother Sarah Mnkandla died on 14 November 2013 and was buried at Hope Fountain on 18 November 2013.
Sikhanyisiwe Mpofu started off as a Councillor for Victoria Falls town before she became a Councillor in Umguza and the Council Chairperson for Umguza RDC for the period that ended in 2013. During her term as Umguza council chairperson, Umguza won various performance accolades which included Best Local Authority in Service Delivery and in Roads Maintenance and the overall winner in Best performing Council for 2012.
During her tenure as Umguza RDC Chairperson, Mpofu was the head of the delegation that was chosen in 2011 to represent the Southern African region in the Regional Committee of the United Cities and Local Governments Association after being elected at the first forum for the African Selected Women Summit in Morocco.
After serving in Umguza Council, Sikhanyisiwe Mpofu got into Parliament in 2013 under proportional representation.
The group of Matabeleland North Zanu PF Women’s League members held two meetings on June 11 and 18 2021 at York House in Bulawayo with the purpose of positioning each other for a restructuring exercise set for September 2021.
When asked about the meetings, Sikhanyisiwe Mpofu vehemently dismissed the claims as false.
In 2014, Sikhanyisiwe and daughter Nomsa were accused of swindling some small-scale miners of a mine in the Makwe area of Gwanda in 2012 through a company in which they are the sole directors.
The alleged scam occurred when Obert Mpofu was still the Mines minister. According to a case which was bought before the Bulawayo High Court, the small-scale miners’ Makwe Mines sued Akjet Mining (Pvt) Ltd for $550 000, which they claimed the Mpofus were supposed to pay for the purchase of their mine which they had agreed to sell for $700 000.
Akjet Mining only paid $150 000 deposit and allegedly reneged on paying the balance.
- Senator Mpofu’s mother dies, The Chronicle, Published: November 18, 2013, Retrieved: July 16, 2021
- NDUDUZO TSHUMA, Mpofu’s mother-in-law buried, Southern Eye, Published: November 19, 2021, Retrieved: July 16, 2021
- RICHARD MUPONDE, Mpofu’s wife accused of taking mine by deceit, NewsDay, Published: February 7, 2014, Retrieved: July 16, 2021
- ZIMBABWE: SIKHANYISIWE MPOFU, Gender Links, Published: July 12, 2018, Retrieved: July 16, 2021
- Zimbabwe women to represent Southern Africa in Morocco, Bulawayo24, Published: March 15, 2011, Retrieved: July 16, 2021
- Race for Zanu-PF ticket hots up, The Herald, Published: April 5, 2018, Retrieved: July 16, 2021
- SILAS NKALA, ‘Team Number 2’ emerges in Zanu PF, The Independent, Published: July 16, 2021, Retrieved: July 16, 2021