Simba Chikore image via Zimbuzz.co.zw
|Employer||Air Zimbabwe (former)|
|Known for||Being Bona Mugabe's husband|
|Children||Simbanashe Gabriel Chikore|
|Parent(s)||Sherman Chikore (father), Christine Chikore (mother)|
|Relatives||Derik Chikore, Ray Chikore, Risen Chikore and a sister Kudakwashe Chikore|
Simba Chikore is a Zimbabwean who is married to Robert Mugabe's daughter Bona. In September 2016, he was appointed the Chief Operations Officer of Air Zimbabwe, a move that was criticised by some Zimbabweans who claimed he had landed the post because of his relationship to Robert Mugabe.
On 19 November 2017, it was reported that Chikore had resigned from his post as Air Zimbabwe COO. Chikore apparently resigned just days before the house arrest of his father in-law former President Mugabe as part of the military takeover.
He is the son of ZAOGA FIF pastors Sherman Chikore and Christine Chikore and is the third born in a family of four boys and a girl. Simba Chikore has brothers Derick, Ray and Reason who are twins and a sister Kudakwashe. Chikore grew up in Kambuzuma and comes from the Chikore area in Rusape where his uncle Dennis Chikore is the chief. According to congregants interviewed by a local publication, Chikore and his siblings formed a musical outfit called 101 Harare Drive that sang brilliantly in church from an early stage in their lives where he played the keyboard.
Chikore attended Marlborough Primary School for his primary education where he excelled in sports mainly athletics, soccer and swimming. He then enrolled at St John’s College in Emerald Hill where he also excelled in sports during his six years of secondary education. Chikore studied sciences at Advanced Level and was the head boy when he completed his studies in 1996 before he moved to the United States for further studies.
He attended but did not graduate school at Saint Louis University in St. Louis MO, USA.
Appointment at Air Zim
In an interview in April 2018, Chikore indicated that he was Supposed To Be Air Zim CEO, however former President Mugabe called the Minister before appointment, and instructed him that he could not favour Chikore,
After the assessment of maybe three or four weeks, they came back with the results and I was number one out of 134 people. Out of 134 candidates, they were trying to find the CEO, COO and the executive manager…And in his wisdom, the Honourable Minister of Transport [Joram Gumbo] assigned me to the post of COO, which was the second position…I imagine if people knew that I was supposed to be the CEO, but that is in his wisdom and we were happy because what we wanted was the expertise
One of the things that he said to the honourable minister was that you cut no corners, no favouritism but I know that he is good at what he does, so go ahead and go through the interview processes, but you will cut no corners.
That was our mandate even from the beginning. That was his way of management, but I know the honourable minister did not even need to hear that he is a very honourable man, he is a wise man and he is a professional.
- Three sitting heads of state among the guests at his wedding South African President Jacob Zuma attended the event along with, Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo of Equatorial Guinea, Zambia’s Michael Sata.
- He is believed to have paid $35,000 and 15 cows to President Mugabe for the Bona's hand in marriage.
- Roselyne Sachiti and Sydney Kawadza, Bona, Simba: Royalty meets royalty, Herald, published: March 8, 2014, retrieved: October 5, 2016
- Bona Mugabe weds her 37 years old man, NewZimbabwe.com, published: March 1, 2014, retrieved: October 5, 2016
- Paidamoyo, Chipunza, President’s grandson makes public debut, Herald, published: June 10, 2016, retrieved: October 5, 2016
- I Was Supposed To Be Air Zim CEO, Mugabe Called The Minister Before Appointment, Told Him No Favouritism – Simba, Pindula, Published: 22 April 2018, Retrieved: 23 April 2018