The Source Logo
The Source is an online media company that was started with aide from Reuters, an international news agency. The Source operates in Zimbabwe and runs a news company that has a special bias towards business and financial related news. The company operates online through its website as well as other social platforms.
The company was launched in October 2013. The company received support from Thomson Reuters Foundation and the European Journalism Centre.
The company's ideology revolves around enlightening the outsider investors about the actual business and financial opportunities in Zimbabwe. It also shed lights to the outside world on the regulatory systems in government which affect investment.
- Nelson Banya - Editor
- Alfonce Mbizwo - News Editor
- Chipo Musoko - Financial and Business journalist
- Onai Petra Abote - Project Coordinator
- Benard Mpofu - Business and Financial Report
- Plaxedes Sibanda - Newsroom Intern
- Kudakwashe Chideme - Newsroom Intern
The Source - Econet/Steward Bank Saga
On 2 February 2015, The Source published a story “Debt-distressed Zimbabwe moves to reschedule domestic debt” in which they claimed that Steward Bank had loaned the government USD30 million to lessen its financial woes. Tawanda Nyambirai is said to have brokered the deal between the government and Steward Bank which is owned by Econet Wireless Zimbabwe.
Exactly a month later on the 2nd of March, The Source broke a story titled “Steward Bank seeks land to settle USD$2,1mln Chiyangwa loan” in which it claimed the bank was considering recovery of a loan issued to Phillip Chiyangwa‘s company during the TN days, by swapping with residential stands to the tune of $2,1 million.
26th March "Office Raiding"
On the 26th of March 2015, Econet Wireless Zimbabwe, stormed The Source offices with an entourage of its lawyers, IT Officials, the sheriff of court and members of the Zimbabwe Republic Police. It is alleged that Econet wanted to get hold of the sources which had been used to come up with the two controversial stories. Econet however did not deny authenticity of the story but was just concerned with getting rid of the sources.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 , The financial story of Zimbabwe: Q&A with Nelson Banya, Editor in Chief of the Source,Trust Org, Published: 27 Jan 2014, Retrieved: 27 Mar 2015
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 L.S.M. Kabweza, Econet, Steward & the raid on The Source: Is this a violation of the Constitution?,Tech Zim, Published: 26 Mar 2015, Retrieved: 27 Mar 2015