Tobaiwa Mudede is a former prominent civil servant who was Registrar General of Zimbabwe from 1985 to September 2018. He is also a writer having authored the book ,Genetically Modified Organism(GMOs) and Population Control Drugs in Developing Countries. As RG, he held controversial views on various issues such as voter registration and the use of contraception by local women.
Image Via: Chronicle
December 22, 1942
|Years active||1985 to September 2018|
|Known for||Being Registrar general from 1985 - 2018|
Mudede was born on 22 December 1942.
Mudede has been Registrar General since Zimbabwe's first post independence election in 1985. Up until the formation of ZEC in 2004, Mudede was responsible for the administration of the voting process.
Tobaiwa Mudede co- authored with Richard Hondo a book called “Genetically Modified Organisms GMOs) and Population Control Drugs in Developing Countries The book, Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) and Population Control Drugs in Developing Countries was launched on the 11th of March 2016 following intense media debate by advocates of GMOs, pro-birth control drugs on one side and those calling the use of traditional birth control methods on the other side. The co-authors of the book believes that promotion of birth control drugs and the call for smaller populations by the West was a deliberate policy to cause diseases and weakening developing countries’ national defense capacities.
Involvement in Zanu Pf Corruption
Harbouring Spirit Medium
Mudede was reported to have been linked with the controversial Rotina Mavhunga, who is a traditional healer and a spirit medium who claimed that diesel was oozing from Maningwa Hills (in Chinhoyi) in 2007 . It alleged that Mudede harboured her, despite the fact that the police were looking for her.
Mudede and his tenure as Registrar General since Zimbabwe’s first post independence election in 1985 received a lot of speculation. Opposition and civil society activists alike accused him of playing a key role in rigging elections ever since he has been in charge of the voters roll. It was alleged that Mudede manipulated the voters' roll to help Zimbabwe African National Union Patriotic Front win the 2013 harmonised elections.
Stance on birth control
Mudede has been on record for telling government to ban the use of contraceptives. He co-authored a book with Richard Hondo on population control. Tobaiwa Mudede indicated that the West was promoting the use of dangerous birth control measures to de-populate developing countries and advocated for the use of traditional methods of contraception. Mudede's view caused debate in the media and parliament, with the Minister of Health and Child Welfare Dr David Parirenyatwa advocating for the use of condoms as a birth control measure and to curb the transmission of sexually transmitted infections and HIV.
Addition to the US Sanctions List
In 2014 Tobaiwa Mudede was added onto the US Sanctions list.
Today's Top Pindula News2019-07-20T05:22:44Z
- Zimbabwe Designations; Zimbabwe Designations Removals, U.S. Department of the Treasury, Published: No Date Given, Retrieved: July 27, 2015
- Lance Guma Registrar General Tobaiwa Mudede exposed,The Zimbabwean, Published: March 9, 2012, Retrieved: July 27, 2015
- Historic Background, Zimbabwe Electoral Commission, Published: No Date Given, Retrieved: July 27, 2015
- , , Published:11 March 2016, Retrieved: 10 November 2017
- 'Diesel n'anga' Mavhunga jailed, NewsDay, Published: September 30, 2010, Retrieved: July 27, 2015
- General Tobaiwa Mudede exposed , The Zimbabwean, Published: 09 March 2012, Retrieved: 10 November 2017
- Veneranda Langa/Everson Mushava ‘Old Mudede must go’ MDC-T, NewsDay, Published: May 16, 2013, Retrieved: July 27,2015
- Tichaona Sibanda Biti claims Mudede created four different voters rolls for rigging purposes, Nehanda Radio, Published: July 20, 2013, Retrieved: July 27, 2015
- Zvamaida Murwira, Don't use condoms: Mudede...West's ploy to retard nation's growth, Chronicle, Published: May 27, 2014, Retrieved: July 27, 2015
- Tobaiwa Mudede and Richard Hondo,Birth control: Women must reclaim their bodies, Sunday Mail, Published: July 20, 2014, Retrieved: July 27, 2015
- Veneranda Langa, Parirenyatwa defends ‘condoms in Bibles’ idea, NewsDay, Published: August 28, 2014, Retrieved: July 27, 2015
- Musa Dube, Use condoms: Parirenyatwa, Standard, Published: September 7, 2014, Retrieved: July 27, 2015
- Tapiwa Zivira Breaking: US removes 10 from sanctions list, NewsDay, Published: April 17, 2014, Retrieved: July 27, 2015