He is a scientist and politician who started his activism during his college days. He was born Arthur Guseni Oliver Mutambara on May 25, 1966.He became prominent in 2006 when he headed one of the two Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) faction.
He is married to Jacquelin Chimhanzi.
- Bachelor of Science: Electrical and Electronic Engineering (honors) (1990) from the University of Zimbabwe
- Master of Science: Electrical Engineering/Computer Engineering (1992) from the University of Oxford
- Doctor of Philosophy: Robotics and Mechatronics (1995) from University of Oxford.
As Student Leader
He was one of the pioneers of student resistance when he was the University of Zimbabwe Student Representative Council (SRC) in the 1980s.He is credited for organizing the first post-independence demonstration against the government on 29 September 1988 when he was Secretary General of the SRC
As Movement for Democratic Change President
In 2005 when the MDC split intwo two factions, he was elected president at the 2006 congress.
As Deputy Prime Minister
In 2008 the main political parties in the country agreed on a power sharing deal that saw Mutambara being appointed Deputy Prime Minister together with Thokozani Khupe on February 11 2009.
As an Author
He has wrote sevaral books namely:
- Mechatronics and Robotics: Design and Applications (Control)(May 2000)
- Decentralized estimation and control with applications to a modular robot(1994)
- A framework for a supervisory expert system for robotic manipulators with joint-position limits and joint-rate(1998)
- Design and Analysis of Control Systems. CRC Press(1999)
- Decentralized Estimation and Control for Multisensor Systems(1998)
- Design and Analysis of Control Systems (International Series on Computational Intelligence)(23 Jun 1999)
- Decentralized Estimation and Control for Multisensor Systems (29 Jan 1998)
In 2010 he was expelled from his own party because of his alleged hero worshiping of Robert Mugabe. At one point he called Mugabe 'Father Africa' and 'the best leader Africa has produced utterances that provoked his party's supporters..
- Mutambara: From high robotics to high politics in Zimbabw
- you need to know about Arthur Mutambara
- [http://www.amazon.co.uk/Books/s?ie=UTF8&field-author=A.G.O.%20Mutambara&page=1&rh=n%3A266239%2Cp_27%3AA.G.O.%20Mutambara,Books › "A.G.O. Mutambara
- [ Mutambara calls Mugabe Father Africa says Sikhala]