Chitungwiza Harmony Singers
Chitungwiza Harmony Singers (CHS) is a choir based in Chitungwiza which was founded in 1993 by the late Israel Dzangare. The choir has had over 75 members and is currently led by Arnold Dzangare. CHS is one of the most known choirs in Zimbabwe.
The Choir is known to rehearse for a minimum of 6 hours a week.
Dzangare launched CHS after being invited to Johannesburg by the organisers of a major choir festival. He dreamt of fielding a top notch Zimbabwean choir at such an event.
Dzangare shared the thought with people like Dennis Muzira, Peter Thole (the choir’s Publicist), Nailos Mwawoneka, Stephen Matute and a few others and in August 1993 the first 16 choristers grouped together in the first ever rehearsal at the Baptist church in Chitungwiza.
According to the CHS website, the vision of the choir’s formation was "to see the hidden music talent in the community flourish, up-bring young people who will take music as a proffession uplift and encourage choral music propmotion in the region and beyond. To assist in raising funds for charitable organizations and sing at state functions and other community functions."
The choir entered its first ever local choral competition, a Lever Brothers sponsored one, in 1994 and came first out of 34 choirs.
Chitungwiza Harmony Singers have appeared at the Harare International Festival of the Arts (HIFA), at special performances in the National Gallery, at local state functions, at the Edinburgh Festival with Sing. Zimbabwe, and are in big demand for functions.
They have competed more than 15 times at the Old Mutual Regional Choral Festival and Championships, winning four times, and running up regularly.
- Best Dance and Best Choral group categories (National Arts Merit Awards 2004) - winners
- Outstanding Choral Group (NAMA 2005) - winners
- Outstanding Choral Group (NAMA 2006) - winners
- Outstanding Choral Group (NAMA 2007) - winners
- Outstanding Choral Group (NAMA 2008) - nominated
- Mavambo 2002
- Chimuaela iVangeli
CHS draws its membership from people of different church denominations who reside in Chitungwiza and Harare.
Choir members for the CHS have included:
- Israel Dzangare (late)
- Arnold Dzangare – Choir Director Joined 2000
- Donovan Jairos – Tenor Joined in 2006
- Hedwig Mondiwa – Alto Joined in 1994
- George Tamisai- Tenor Joined in 2008
- Jared M. Chinhoro -Tenor Joined in 2008
- Judith R Gwande – Soprano Joined in 2009
- Sibongile Kanyai – Alto Joined 2006
- Cleopatra Sheha – Alto Joined in 2011
- Rufaro Makumbira – Alto Joined in 1994
- James Muzulu – Bass Joined in 1993
- Tariro Negomo – Alto Joined in 2005
- Christopher Tamburayi – Tenor Joined 2014
- Vincent Matundu – Bass Joined 2013
- Joseph T. Maramba – Bass Joined 2011
- Talent Madimu – Alto Joined 2013
- Bridget Shamu – Alto Joined 2014
- Esnath Zonke – Alto Joined 2004
- Argatha Shamu – Alto Joined 2003
- Rosemary Charlie – Alto Joined 2006
- Memory Mubaiwa – Soprano Joined 2001
- Miriam Makhubalo – Alto Joined 2008
- Ashley Shereni – Soprano Joined 2008
- Tellmore Makhubalo – Soprano Joined 2008
- Sheilla Chinogwenya – Soprano Joined 2010
- Plaxedes James – Soprano Joined 2011
- Evernice Mugwagwa – Soprano Joined 2013
- Molly Dzangare – Soprano Joined 2006
- Prosper Chitiyo – Tenor Joined 2012
- Paradzai Nezomba – Tenor Joined 2000
- Blessing Chigumira – Tenor Joined 2014
- Jabulani Chiringa – Tenor Joined 2013
- Innocent Simoyi – Tenor Joined 2007
- Valentine Jamu – Tenor Joined 2011
- Brenda Morabe – Tenor Joined 2012
- Bonny B. Kanyenze – Tenor Joined 2012
- Tendai Taengwa – Tenor Joined 2014
- Takudzwa Rukanda Joined 2014
- Makesure Machaya – Tenor Joined 2014
- Bonginkosi Ncube – Bass Joined 2013
- Thabani Ncube – Bass Joined 2013
- Terence Kwenda – Bass Joined – 2014
- Cuthbert Takuda – Bass
- Wellington Mudyawabikwa – Bass Joined 2013
- Victor Arufasi – Bass Joined 2010
- Arthur Mutuswa – Bass Joined 2009
- Thomas Gobvu – Bass
- Maulese Maskwa
- Edwin Dzangare
- Peter Thole – Bass Joined 1993