It is home to about 14,450 people.
- Johnson Ndlovu of Zanu PF with 15 364 votes,
- Agrippa Madlela, Independent, with 1 524 votes,
- Clement Khumalo of ZUM with 1 331 votes.
Turnout - 19 083 voters or 55.06 %
Gwanda South returned:
- Eliah Masiyane Full results for Gwanda South were not released.
- Paul Themba Nyathi of MDC with 13 039 votes,
- Thenjiwe Lesabe of Zanu PF with 4 358 votes,
- Agrippa Hlangabeza Madlela of ZAPU with 299 votes,
- Jabulani Ndlovu of LPZ with 242 votes,
- Patrick Moyo of ZAPU with 221 votes.
Gwanda South returned"
- Abednico Ncube of Zanu-PF with 9913 votes,
- Paulos Matjaka Nare of MDC with 7944 votes, (see J Z Moyo High School)
- Mchasisi Nare, Independent, with 674 votes.
- Edson Gumbo of Zanu PF with 7 457 votes or 52.10 percent,
- Julieth Nkiwane of MDC-T with 4 048 votes or 28.28 percent,
- Patrick Dube of MDC with 2 571 votes or 17.96 percent,
- Mthetho Mlilo of ZAPU with 237 votes or 1.66 percent,.
Total 14 313 votes
- Madodana Sibanda of Zanu PF with 4 246 votes or 40.73 percent,
- Thandeko Mnkandhla of MDC-T with 3 733 votes or 35.81 percent,
- Paul Themba Nyathi of MDC with 1 977 votes or 18.96 percent,
- Micah Masiye of ZAPU with 300 votes or 2.88 percent,
- Gift Sibanda, Independent, with 169 votes or 1.62 percent,.
Total 10 425 votes
- Abedinico Ncube of Zanu PF with 5 701 votes or 57.39 percent,
- Ekem Moyo of MDC-T with 2 866 votes or 28.85 percent,
- Leagajang G Makwati of MDC with 1 020 votes or 10.27 percent,
- Rabson Ncube of ZAPU with 346 votes or 3.48 percent,.
Total 9 933 votes
The name is derived from Jahunda, a hill 20 km south east of Gwanda. It is Sesutu or Karanga, and is reportedly corrupted by Andy Nicholson (or West Nicholson), who could not pronounce Jahunda. There is a prickly weed found, called gwanda in Ndebele, Basutu and Karanga, however it is not associated with the town name. 
- [Chief Information Officer, Lore and Legend of Southern Rhodesia Place Names] (Southern Rhodesia Information Service, Salisbury, 1960) Retrieved 8 November 2021"