Gweru formally Gwelo is the capital of the Midlands Province and Zimbabwe's third largest city. It is the main import and export centre as well the most accessible industrial center that overseas markets through South Africa to the South and Mozambique to the east.
The city was discovered by Dr. Leander Starr Jameson in 1984 and became a military post. The first buildings to be built were lodges and hotels such as the Horseshoe Inn(now Midlands Hotel) and Latham Hotel now Gweru rural police station.  By June of the same year the first stands of what was to become Gweru City were surveyed. By then it was declared a Sanitary Board. It then progressed to gain a Municipal status on 18th June, 1914 and it attained City Status in October 1971. This saw the establishment of the city's first bank in 1896, followed by the opening of a stock exchange in 1898. The first railway was built in 1902. When Zimbabwe was colonised, the Pioneer Column renamed the city Gwelo. After independence, the city was given the name Gweru.
Gweru is located at 19°27′S 29°49′E. and it has an area of 49,166 km².The City of Progress as it was nicknamed, Gweru was built along the Gweru river(originally iKwelo). The latter derived its name after the after the river’s high banks, where umkwelo (a ladder) was used by those who fetched water from it. This subsequently became the name Gweru which the city is now known. It is situated along the road and railway between Harare and Bulawayo and near the rail spur to Maputo.
In 2011, Gweru had a population of 48 959 comprising of 23 703 (48.5%) males and 25 256 (51.5%) females. The population was housed in about 12 642 households with an average house hold size of 3 people.
- Brenna Matendere Munyati, Happy birthday, Gweru – the city that transformed itself, 'The Zimbabwean', Published: 15 Apr 2014, Retrieved: 28 Apr 2014
- Gweru Map, Gweru Map, 'Maplandia', Published: ND, Retrieved: 28 Apr 2014
- SC, Gweru & Masvingo|city gallery|zimbabwe, 'Skyscape City', Published: ND, Retrieved: 28 Apr 2014
- Parliament Research Department, , 'Parliament of Zimbabwe', Published: 2011, Retrieved: 28 Apr 2014