The MDC Alliance is a coalition of seven opposition parties that was launched on the 5th of August, 2017 at the Zimbawe Grounds in Highfield, with the aim to challenge Robert Mugabe and his Zanu-PF party in the 2018 harmonised elections.
Parties in the MDC Alliance
- Morgan Tsvangirai led MDC-T
- Wleshman Ncube led MDC
- Tendal Biti led People’s Democratic Party
- Jacob Ngarivhume led Transform Zimbabwe
- Agrippa Mutambara led Zimbabwe People First
- Multi-Racial Christian Democratic Party
- Zanu Ndonga
=Attack on Thokozani Khupe
MDC-T Vice President Thokozani Khupe who was absent at the signing process was attacked at the MDC-T's Bulawayo offices together with the next day together with Lovemore Moyo, the MDC-T National Chairman and Abednico Bhebhe, the party’s national organising secretary. The attackers were members of the MDC-T Youth Wing.
Internal opposition with the MDC-T
Tsvangirai's top top lieutenants - Vice President Thokozani Khupe, organising secretary Abednico Bhebhe and national chairperson Lovemore Moyo - distances themselves from the alliance saying that Tsvangirai had acted unilaterally without consulting them.. The trio wrote a letter to Tsvangirai urging him to postpone the launch of the MDC Alliance in Bulawayo so that he could meet with party leaders and resolve concerns they had.
Joice Mujuru's refusal to join coalition over name
Leader of the opposition National People's Party Joice Mujuru said that although her party was fully behind the formation of the coalition, she was not going to join it unless the name MDC was removed from the MDC Alliance. She said doing otherwise would imply that her party had been swallowed by the MDC. She said
As long as the coalition has an MDC name, I am not part of it, but I would be happy if we meet and give it a different name.
...If parties go under the MDC name, it means we ave been swallowed. However, the issue is not about positions, but the people first.
Gender inbalance in the coalition
Don’t you think there is something fundamentally wrong in seven men standing up and say we are standing up and we are asking you to define a new Zimbabwe, with no woman standing up.
Because when they started the process we were not there, they picked each other, went to some corner, somewhere, and we don’t know where it is, defined the agreement and ran with it.
Failed to load RSS feed from http://feeds.feedburner.com/PindulaNews: There was a problem during the HTTP request: 404 Feed not found error: FeedBurner cannot locate this feed URI.
- Scott Vincent
- Thabang Makwetla
- Tawanda Chihambakwe
- Nelly Mutti
- Munyaradzi Machacha
- Hebert Chitepo School of Ideology
- Moratwe Masima
- Zimi Mabunzi
- Lalela Mswane
- Thandi Modise
- Alex Magaisa (August 12, 2017). "Big Saturday Read: MDC Alliance – an oasis or a mirage?". BSR. Retrieved August 22, 2017.
- Nqobani Ndlovu (August 29, 2017). "Come down: Khupe tells Tsvangirai". NewsDay. AMH. Retrieved August 29, 2017.
- Mashonaland East Correspondent (August 28, 2017). "Mujuru demands removal of MDC name in Alliance". New Zimbabwe. Retrieved August 29, 2017.
- Staff Reporter (August 21, 2017). "Priscilla Misihairabwi says everything wrong with the MDC Alliance, call me CIO spy if you so wish". New Zimbabwe. Retrieved August 29, 2017.