Nigel Chanakira (Image Credit: The African Millionare)
|Born||Nigel Muranganwa Kudzai Chanakira|
July 11, 1966
|Known for||Founding Kingdom Bank|
|Children||3 sons - Ponayi Alistar Chanakira, Tadiwa Nigel Chanakira (Jnr), Panashe Lamuel Chanakira|
1 daughter - Mazvita Bethel Chanakira
Nigel Chanakira is a Zimbabwean business mogul, philanthropist and the founder of Kingdom Bank. The bank rose from humble beginnings to a leading indigenous financial services group before his exit. His efforts continue to be recognised as he had been awarded more than 17 local and international business awards. He is the current the Executive Chairman of Success Motivation Institute (Zimbabwe) based in Harare.
Nigel Muranganwa Kudzai Chanakira was born on 11 July 1966, and was raised in Harare's Highfield suburb in an entrepreneurial family. His father and uncle used to operate a public transport company, Modern Express. His father later extended his business into retail shops. Later when the business grew, Nigel's father exited the family business and bought one of the shops and expanded it. Being raised in such a family, young Nigel would work in the shops during holidays. On completion of high school, Nigel failed to enter dental or medical school, which were his first passions. He then enroled at the University of Zimbabwe for a Bachelor in Economics degree programme. Chanakira's intelligence and hard work earned him excellent results. This propelled him to get work at the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe (RBZ) as an economist.Cite error: Closing
</ref> missing for
<ref> tag In October 2009 adispute emerged with majority shareholders and he decided to step down as CEO. He then de-merged Kingdom from the Kingdom Meikles group in 2011 and formed Kingdom Financial Holdings Limited. In 2013 Chanakira sold his 30 percent shareholding in AfrAsia Kingdom Zimbabwe and has exited the financial institution to pursue other interests.
- Chief Executive Officer of Kingdom Meikles Africa Limited (December 11, 2007 – January 1, 2010)
- Chairman of the Board of First Discount House Limited.
- Executive Deputy Chairman of KFHL
- Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe Econmist(1998)
- Worked of Bard Discount House( 1989-1994)
- Director of Econet Wireless Zimbabwe
- Non-Executive Director and Non-Executive Director of The Kingdom Bank Limited
AfrAsia Zimbabwe Holdings
- Chairman of the Board First Discount House Limited (1998-2008)
Whilst at Kingdom he won more than 17 business awards. These include Kingdom being twice voted the Top Company on the Zimbabwe Stock Exchange (ZSE) ( in 2001 and 2007), Best Turnaround ZSE company (in 2006), Director of the Year Award by the Institute of Directors of Zimbabwe (2007) among others. Nigel is happily married to Caroline and they have three sons namely Panashe, Tadiwa, and Ponayi and one daughter, Mazvita. Nigel is an active Christian serving in Celebration Ministries International and he is a philanthropist.
- Nigel Chanakira Zimbabwe Banker Kingdom Bank Millionare, 'The African Millionare', Published: ND, Retrieved: 15 May 2014
- [bulawayo24.com/index-id-business-sc-companies-byo-35730.html Nigel Chanakira exits Kingdom], 'Bulawayo 24', Published: 6 Sept 2013, Retrieved: 15 May 2014
- Nigel Muranganwa Kudzai Chanakira Msc (econ), 'Business Week', Published: 24 Mar 2014, Retrieved: 15 May 2014