|Born||Peter Simhanga Chikumba|
|Alma mater||California University, California Coast University|
|Known for||Fraud at Air Namibia & Air Zimbabwe|
|Children||2 daughters: Elizabeth Chikumba, Mariamawit Chenai Chikumba|
Peter Chikumba is an Aircraft Engineer, former C.E.O. of Air Zimbabwe, former C.E.O. of Celebration Ministries International and former CEO of Air Namibia. He was also a pastor at Celebration Ministries International. Chikumba was charged and found guilty of abuse of office in April 2015 and subsequently sentenced to 10 years in prison.
Peter Simhanga Chikumba was born in Zimbabwe between 1954 - 1955 (please edit if you are aware). He is married to Theresa Chikumba who is of Ethiopian descent and the two have two daughters; Elizabeth and Mariamawit who are both pilots.
Chikumba holds a Doctorate in Business Administration from California Coast University, USA, and an MBA and Bachelor of Business Administration from California University.
Chikumba was with Air Zimbabwe since as early as the 80s and rose through the ranks as an aircraft engineer.
Before joining Air Zimbabwe Chikumba was the CEO of Air Namibia, a post he left after being fired for alleged corruption.
Chikumba also worked for Ethiopian Airlines and International Air Transport Association (IATA) at senior levels.
Royal Bank Zimbabwe
Chikumba was the chairman of Royal Bank Zimbabwe, a bank that is now defunct following its closure in 2004 and liquidation in 2012.
As CEO of Celebration Ministries International
In July 2011 Chikumba was appointed the CEO of Celebration Ministries International. When he was appointed Chikumba commented: “Having worked for 35 years, I believe that God is saying it’s time for me to serve him.”
Airlines Association of Southern Africa
Chikumba was the chairman of the Airlines Association of Southern Africa (AASA) for at least 2 terms. He became the first person elected to chair the AASA Board who is not a South African.
Chikumba was the Regional Director for Africa at IATA.
- Tourism Manager of the Year In The Public Sector (2008) - as Air Zimbabwe Holdings Group CEO.
- Institute of Directors Certificate Of Merit for 'Director of the year (2008) - as Air Zimbabwe Holdings Group CEO.
Insurance Scam Corruption at Air Zimbabwe
In December 2010, after being at the helm of the Air Zimbabwe for almost 4 years, Chikumba resigned as CEO. In July 2011 he was appointed CEO of Celebration Ministries International, a church founded by Tom Deuschle. Two years later, in February 2014, following an audit at Air Zimbabwe, Peter Chikumba, Grace Pfumbidzayi the company secretary and Innocent Mavhunga an Acting CEO at the airline, were arrested on charges of corruption involving the airline's insurance with the money amounting to ₤5 175 593 and over US $2 million.
The corruption allegation came out after, in 2013, the Air Zimbabwe board questioned aviation insurance premiums paid to Navistar Insurance Brokers by the airline for insurance between April 2009 and April 2013. An audit by BCA Forensic Audit established that on March 18, 2009, Chikumba and Pfumbidzayi allegedly corruptly abused their duty as public officers by appointing Navistar Insurance Brokers to provide aviation insurance cover without going to tender and terminated the services of the existing insurer. The airline had been paying ₤150,000 annually to the previous insurer but started paying ₤1,200,000 to Navistar Insurance Brokers.
On 9 April 2015 Chikumba, alongside Grace Pfumbidzayi were convicted for criminal abuse of office and the two were sentenced to 10 years imprisonment each the next day. 3 of the 10 years were suspended on condition of good behaviour. Chikumba's track record in the aviation industry had for long been tainted with allegations of corruption, misuse of company funds among other malpractices since his tenure with Air Namibia. Some of the questionable behaviour in which Chikumba is alleged to have partook in include making sure that one of his two daughters passed aviation courses at all costs.
- Stanley Kwenda , Zimbabwe: I'm No Crook - Airzim's Chikumba, Fingaz, Published: 22 Feb 2007, Retrieved: 11 Apr 2015
- Air Namibia CEO fired, News24, Published: 30 Apr 2002, Retrieved: 11 Apr 2015,
- Press Release no. 19, Peter Chikumba New IATA Regional Director for Africa, IATA, Published: 6 Sep 2002, Retrieved: 11 Apr 2015,
- Former AirZim boss Chikumba turns to religion, The Zimbabwean, Published:5 July 2011, Retrieved:12 April 2015,
- AASA re-elects Air Zimbabwe’s Dr. Peter Chikumba as chairman, eTN Global Travel Industry News , Published: 16 November 2010, Retrieved: 11 Apr 2015,
- Charles Laiton Air Zimbabwe bosses remanded in custody, News Day, Published:15 February 2014, Retrieved:11 April 2015,
- Ndamu Sandu Peter Chikumba: Fall of a ‘prayer warrior’, The Standard, Published: April 19, 2015, Retrieved: May 27, 2015