Willard Katsande is an award-winning Zimbabwe's international footballer. He is one of the best midfielders in the country and plays the positions of central and defensive midfielder. Katsande joined South African team, Kaizer Chiefs in 2011, proving his prowess as one of the best in the South African Premiership having been nominated for the Player of the Season and Players’ Player of the Season in 2014. Though he failed to win either, Katsande scooped three awards at Chiefs' award ceremony.
He was born on the 15th of January 1986 in Mutoko. He had one sibling, Susan Katsande who died in January 2014.
Kastande started off playing for lowly division one league where he played for virtually known teams such Frontier Steel, Feruka FC and Highway. It was when he played for the latter that Katsande was spotted by the 2010 Zimbabwean Premier Soccer League champions, Gunners FC. The same year Gunners brought the midfielder to play in top flight championships in Harare. He was outstanding in all Gunners Champions league matches, but impressed the coaches very much in the team's 1-0 victory over former African champions Al Ahly at Rufaro Stadium. It was here that Katsande's fortunes were turned as he ws spotted by Ajax Cape Town who signed him for the 2010/2011 season. An injury at the club restricted his appearence only featuring in 5 games and scoring a single goal. He was then signed by Chiefs after his impressive show when the Warriors played a friendly with Zambia in 2011.
Katsande had played for the following clubs:
- Highway-Div 1, Zim (2007-2009)
- Gunners, Zim (2010)
- Ajax Cape Town, SA (2010-2011)
- Kaizer Chiefs, SA (2011-present)
Katsande courted controversy when he failed to travel to Tanzania for the first leg of the 2015 African Nations Cup qualifier against Tanzania earlier in May 2014. Katsande said he missed the game because he was sick, a claim that was not accepted by many of his teammates. The latter believed Katsande was not ill but rather boycotted the match in order to attend the South African end-of-season awards which were held on the same day as the match. He was in line for two top awards, PSL Player of the Season and Players’ Player of the Season although he won non. His late withdraw is reported to have angered Warriors coach Ian Gorowa but the two ironed out their differences with Katsande joining other players in preparation for the second leg.
Katsansde scooped three awards at the 2014, Amakhosi(Kizer Chiefs) awards. He was voted:
- Kaizer Chiefs Player of the Year
- Players’ Player of the Year
- Online Player of the Year.
For this he walked away with a a Nissan 370Z and pocketed R230 000.
- Condolences to Katsnde Family, 'Kaizer Chiefs', Published: 24 Jan 2014, Retrieved: 28 May 2014
- Willard Katsande, 'Beez Sports', Retrieved: 28 May 2014
- Nigel Matongorere, Gorowa pardons Katsande, 'DailyNews', Published: 28 May 2014, Retrieved: 28 May 2014
- Tawanda Tafirenyika, Willard Katsande back in Warriors squad, 'NewsDay', Published: 28 May 2014, Retrieved: 28 May 2014
- Katsande apologises, 'Sunday Mail', Published: 25 May 2014, Retrieved: 28 May 2014