Consultant (Database Application Developer)
The main purpose of this assignment is to deliver a database application that will register beneficiaries and track their interactions with the project. This entails capturing the details of the individuals at intake level (according to the different interventions) and capture the periodic goods and or services they receive during the life of the project. The Consultant will develop standard procedures and guidelines for using and maintaining the database and improve the competence (application of knowledge and skills) of Practical Action staff in using and maintaining the developed database and standards to ensure the team operates the database efficiently.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Master register – The application should capture all beneficiaries from the different interventions using one template. Essential beneficiary profiles to include names, age, sex, contacts, physical address, vulnerability status, among other attributes.
- Mobile Application- Linked to a mobile application that enables offline data entry and uploading once connected to internet.
- Indicator tracking – Facilitate real-time indicator tracking following implementation of activities that speak directly into the respective indicators. For instance, when beneficiaries receive training on Gender Action Learning System (GALS), Internal Savings and Lending (ISAL), or receive cash, seed input, among other goods and services, the application must record the package and produce a dashboard.
- Dashboards – The database application must produce downloadable dashboards with easy-to-follow data visualisations.
- Reporting- Analysis and generation of general and specific reports including mapping and special reports
- Data protection – Viewing of the database must be restricted, as such credentials must be given to those with user rights.
Qualifications and Experience
- A first degree or higher in Computer Science, Information Technology, Informatics.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible work experience in database development within NGO settings.
- In-depth knowledge of data collection, analysis, visualisation, and presentation using digital platforms.
- Excellent presentation and writing skills in English.
- The consultant must have hands-on experience in database development and capacity building for NGOs.
- Must provide proof of developing databases.
- Have thorough understanding of database security protocols.
- Have a high degree of appreciation of data security and information protection.
- Experience in developing databases for BHA/USAID funded projects will be an advantage.
How to Apply
Applicants can request for the full Terms of Reference on the email below.
Practical Action will consider applications from both individuals and teams. Applicants must clearly identify the team leader, who will be responsible for delivering the outputs of the assignment and be the focal person liaising with Practical Action. Interested parties must submit their technical and financial proposals clearly labelled: “BHA/USAID RBCC Database Application” to the following address:
The Procurement Committee Practical Action Southern Africa
4 Ludlow Road Newlands
P. O. Box 1744
Tel: 08612077036 or 08612077037
Deadline: 08 March 2023 at 1700Hrs.Generate a Whatsapp Message
Practical Action is a development charity registered in the United Kingdom which works directly in four regions of the developing world – Latin America, East Africa, Southern Africa and South Asia, with particular concentration on Peru, Bolivia, Kenya, Sudan, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and Nepal.