Program Operations Officer
Welthungerhilfe (WHH) is one of Germany’s largest private aid organisations dedicated to fighting for a world without hunger. It is a multi-sectoral organisation collaborating with local partners in humanitarian and developmental contexts across 34 countries and eight focus areas. since 2017, WHH has been advocating for a systemic approach to sustain WASH service delivery by launching its Sustainable Services Initiative (SSI), an internal programme improving the sustainability of Welthungerhilfe’s WASH programmes and to advocate across the sector and partner countries for a more sustainable approach to WASH programming. The approach involves working with country level partners to address common deep-rooted challenges such as inadequate financing, disjointed planning, limited ongoing support to communities and service providers, and weak monitoring and regulation.
WHH in collaboration with a series of experienced local implementing partners, are implementing a four-year BMZ-funded WASH system strengthening programme entitled ‘WASH System Strengthening in Fragile and Developing Contexts to Achieve Sustainable Development Goal Six.’ This programme is being implemented in four countries (India, Pakistan, Sierra Leone and Zimbabwe). A central pillar of the programme is unlocking the barriers to sustainable and equitable services and supporting each country’s vision for WASH service provision. This is undertaken through a series of tailor-made activities and interventions implemented at the community and service provider, service authority, sub-national, national, and global levels. A critical component of the program is anchored on Learning & Exchange module (Module#6) that seeks to strengthen knowledge exchange structures at programme-, country- and sector-level to allow for effective collaboration between the four program countries and scale-up of systems approaches in the WASH Sector.
The Program Operations officer will contribute to the achievement of the purpose of the WASH Systems strengthening program, also known as Global WASH program (GWP). The role is responsible for supporting the WASH Systems Strengthening Coordinator with the day-to-day operations of the program and support to the respective program implementation structures. The position holder will maintain a close eye on the operational and financial performance, identify probable issues that may need attention of the Program management as per action-items assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the GWP-management in setting up and coordinating the Learning & Exchange module of the programme.
- Support GWP-management in ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources allocated to the Learning and Exchange module.
- Assist GWP management in timely reporting in line with donor regulations and WHH policies and procedures.
- Assist WASH Systems Strengthening Coordinator in the coordination of program trainings and learning events.
- Maintain access to a network of subject matter experts inside and outside the program that can be utilized and managed by project teams and other stakeholders involved.
- Maintenance of the program’s filing structure.
- Maintenance of the program’s contact lists including a Global contact directory (all stakeholders from all countries categorized with filter options).
- Maintenance and following up on use of templates by the respective country implementation structures.
- Format newsletters learning briefs and other program related publications and manage the relevant distribution lists.
- Support the WASH Systems Strengthening Coordinator in the effective management of all outputs related to the Learning & Exchange Module in terms of international visibility, positioning, publications, exchange events, dissemination and anchoring of learnings and good practice examples.
- Self-Awareness: Ability to develop a high degree of self-awareness around own strengths and weaknesses and impact on others.
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas.
- Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them.
- Mutual accountability: Ability to explain our decisions and how we have taken them based on our organizational values.
- Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity: Open to change and flexible in a fast-paced environment.
- Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Capability of building and maintaining productive relationships with a range of actors, including Government officials, municipalities, NGOs, and the international donors.
Qualifications and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in Program management, Communications, Social sciences, or related field.
- At least 3 years’ progressive experience in programme management preferably in a multi-cultural context.
- Strong organisational and personal management skills, with ability to prioritise work issues to meet deadlines with minimal supervision and adjust to constantly changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through.
- Well-developed communication skills.
- Skills in developing good relations within a diverse team as well as with other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task.
- Possess excellent communication and representation skills.
How to Apply
During the application process, WHH will not charge any fee nor will it require any payment for an application to be considered. WHH is an equal opportunity employer and employs personnel without regard to race, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, language, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status and or physical handicap. Persons with disability are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of motivation and their CVs to: email@example.com. Please state the position applied for in the subject line of the email.
NB: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 08 March 2023Generate a Whatsapp Message
Deutsche Welthungerhilfe e. V. – or Welthungerhilfe for short – is a German non-denominational and politically independent non-profit and non-governmental aid agency working in the fields of development cooperation and humanitarian assistance.