FULL THREAD: Magaisa Discusses Why Opposition MPs Are Attending Seminars In Luxurious Vic Falls
Alex T Magaisa, the former advisor to the late ex-Prime Minister, Morgan Tsvangirai has defended opposition MPs who are under fire for attending the pre-budget seminars in Victoria Falls saying that “they do not have a choice” and “they also cannot boycott the meetings”. Read the full thread below.
1. There’s outrage over the government’s pre-budget seminars in Vic Falls. It’s been a tradition to hold the event there but things are tight & people expect better discretion. However, opposition supporters must make up their minds over their MPs’ position in Parliament.
2. It’s unfortunate that it’s being held at such great cost but I do not see why opposition MPs must be blamed for the venue. If MDC MPs’ were to boycott a keyspace such as a pre-budget seminar, it would be hard to justify their continued role in Parliament.
3. If MDC MPs controlled the seminar’s location & if they chose Vic Falls during this tight period, they would have no defence. But they don’t have that power. The alternative would be to boycott the seminar, but if they did, would they be justified to remain in Parliament?
4. As long as MDC MPs stay in Parliament, decisions they will take will please supporters 1 day & outrage them another day. I know from experience that withdrawal will not happen, so opposition fans will have to learn the see-saw experience – a high one day & followed by a low
5. For now, as long as they are in Parliament, scrutinise their performance. Are they busy enjoying the luxuries of Vic Falls or are they making solid contributions to the business of the day? Perhaps too they should publicly challenge the apparent lack of prudence.
6. But do spare a thought for the folks of Vic Falls. All things being equal, it’s not a bad idea to spread government business outside Bambazonke Harare. Perhaps the Vic Falls economy will get a small boost (and let’s hope the chaps will be responsible in their indulgences!)
More: Alex T Magaisa