Great Zimbabwe University Wins 2019 All Africa Humanitarian Law Competition
Great Zimbabwe University (GZU) has won the 2019 All Africa International Humanitarian Law competition. The competition was held in Arusha, Tanzania over 1 week. GZU beat Nigeria’s University of Uyo in the finals.
The ICRC congratulated GZU:
The following 9 universities from 8 countries participated:
- University of Kigali, Rwanda
- Uganda Christian University, Uganda
- Addis Ababa university, Ethiopia
- Hawassa University, Ethiopia
- University of Juba, South Sudan
- Great Zimbabwe university, Zimbabwe
- University of Uyo, Nigeria
- Kabarak university, Kenya
- University of Dodoma, Tanzania
A Zimbabwean university has won the continental competition consecutively for the past 3 years. The 2017 and 2018 editions of the All Africa International Humanitarian Law competition were won by the University of Zimbabwe and the Midlands State University respectively.
The GZU team’s coach and mentor, lawyer Tawanda Zvobgo celebrated on Twitter:
Earlier in the year GZU was ranked amoung the world’s top universities in law at The Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition.