FULL TEXT: Bulawayo On Path Of Cyclone Chalane
Bulawayo City has told residents to prepare for Cyclone Chalane after weather forecasts have advised that the second-largest city in Zimbabwe is on the path of the cyclone. Below is the city’s statement in full.
CYCLONE CHALANE AWARENESS
Members of the public are advised that the weather forecasts are showing that Bulawayo is on the path of the Cyclone Chalane. The City of Bulawayo is working with the Civil Protection Unit on disaster preparedness while the Emergency Services will be conducting awareness campaigns for the low lying areas.
Residents are encouraged to follow these instructions to avoid loss of life and extensive damage to property should they face a flood.
- If there is any possibility of flooding or flash flooding, the affected people should move immediately to higher ground. They should not wait for instructions to do so.
- If one has to evacuate, secure your home. if you have time, move essential items to a safe place.
- Turn off utilities at the main switches.
- Do not touch electrical equipment or appliances if you are wet or standing in water.
- Never attempt to re-enter premises once you have evacuated.
- Desist from attempting to cross flooded streams.
- Drivers of vehicles are advised not to drive into flooded streams.
- After the floods. avoid streams of water as these may be contaminated by oil, or raw sewage.
- Do not touch any downed power lines, report to the power authority or to the Emergency Services as soon as possible.
- If your property is walled make sure you create weep holes for water to escape.
- Ensure the drainage around your property is cleared before the onset of the rains.
- Keep up to date with weather bulletins/news.
NB: If advised to evacuate, do so immediately. Close all windows and lock up all doors. Proceed to designated safe areas where the Fire and Emergency Services and other support services will render assistance.
In case of any emergency, kindly contact the City of Bulawayo on the following Emergency Contact Numbers: LANDLINES ONLY – 993/994 ALL NETWORKS – 02922 71717 — 9
C DUBE – TOWN CLERK
Date: Tuesday, 29 December 2020 +26377 466 8432 0808 4700 (Econet) 0808 4700(Telone) 0292271290(All Networks)