MSD Forecasts Thunderstorms, Heavy Rains In Some Parts Of Zimbabwe
The Meteorological Services Department (MSD) of Zimbabwe has forecasted thunderstorms and isolated heavy rains in some parts of the country. In a weather update seen by Pindula News, MSD said some regions could still receive some showers. Reads the update:
ZIMBABWE EVENING WEATHER REPORT AND FORECAST ISSUED AT 1600 HRS SATURDAY 21 JANUARY 2023 VALID UNTIL MONDAY 23 JANUARY 2023.
Areas along and to the north of the central watershed had scattered thunderstorms yesterday. However, most measured rainfall amounts were below 20mm except for Chibero 26mm, Henderson 22mm, Victoria Falls 22mm and Bulawayo (JMNN) Airport 20mm. Areas to the south of the central watershed (southern parts of Matabeleland South, southern parts of Midlands, Masvingo and bulk of Manicaland Provinces) had partly cloudy and hot conditions.
FORECAST FOR TOMORROW SUNDAY 22 JANUARY 2023
Matabeleland South and North, Bulawayo Metropolitan, Midlands, all Mashonaland, and north of Manicaland Provinces are expected to experience scattered thunderstorms with isolated heavy rains in places. The rest of the country should have partly cloudy conditions with showers that could be thundery.
• Flooded rivers remain a potential hazard; even if it has not rained heavily in the area, heavy rains may have occurred upstream
• Heavy downpours may lead to flash flooding leading to treacherous road conditions.
Usanetseke neNetOne airtime.
Baya *405# utenge neEcoCash
• Lightning is a significant threat during this part of the year, inherent in thundershowers.
ACTIONS TO TAKE
• Avoid crossing rivers or streams of unknown depth; even if it has not rained heavily in the area, it might have done so upstream. 30cm depth of fast-flowing water can sweep away large vehicles.
• Heavy rains may reduce visibility; if driving, please find somewhere safe to park till the rains subside.
• Avoid contact with water or metal objects including farming equipment when lightning is visible, even from a distance.
• Umbrellas are not safe during storms, raincoats are better, best is to be indoors.
WEATHER OUTLOOK FOR MONDAY 23 JANUARY 2023
Numerous thunderstorms are expected across the country. Heavy falls are anticipated in areas along the central watershed and over high grounds. Winds are forecast to be light and variable in most areas except for Matabeleland North, which should be primarily north-westerly and moderate.