|Born||Mgcini Calvin Nhliziyo|
December 15, 1984
|Died||October 24, 2020 (aged 35)|
|Cause of death||Motor Vehicle Accident|
|Years active||2003 - 2020|
Cal_Vin (real name Mgcini Calvin Nhliziyo) was an award-winning Zimbabwean rapper whose popularity rose from about 2014. He did collaborations with well-known artists in Southern Africa like South African rapper Cassper Nyovest.
Cal_vin died on the night of 24 October 2020 from injuries sustained after being was run over by a car. He had been walking home after watching a football match on TV at a bar near his home in Luveve.
CAL_VIN was raised in the high-density Suburb Luveve in Bulawayo. Heavily influenced by iconic musicians like Michael Jackson, Tupac, Oliver Mtukudzi and Jay Z. Calvin was introduced to rap and provided with an opportunity to record in the year 2003. He went on to start making his own beats in 2004.
Cal_vin started in the music business as a rapper and then started making his own productions. From then he focused on rapping and making Hip hop, Rnb and Afro Pop beats among other genres, this saw him working on and producing songs with big names in the industry.
He gained some popularity in 2014 when one of his songs “Bebengakholwa”, from the “Perfect Balance” album began to top local radio charts such ZiFM Stereo, Star FM and Power FM. Bebengakholwa was a hit and went to dominate in competitions namely Bulawayo Top10 Chart on ZiFM Stereo topping the charts as number 1 for eleven weeks and also being voted ‘’Song of the Month”, three times consecutively. On Heart Beat National Chart it did well also and it stayed in the top10 for weeks.
In 2014 Cal_Vin received a Zim Hip Hop award nomination.
- Album of the Year for Year of the Vin, Zim Hip Hop Awards 2015
- Best Male Artist, Zim Hip Hop Awards 2015
Cal_vin died on the night of 24 October from injuries sustained after being was run over by a car. He had been walking home after watching a football match on TV at a bar near his home in Luveve. He had his girlfriend and two other boys. They were almost home, just about 20 meters away when the incident happened. Cal_Vin was taken to Mpilo Central Hospital and was declared deceased upon arrival.
Following his death, Zimbabweans on social media started a campaign to help track down the driver and car that had run him over. On Twitter, using the hashtag #JusticeForCalvin people appealed to the public to help find the Mazda Familiar car that had killed Cal_Vin. Images of a damaged vehicle similar to the one described were shared.
Arrest of Suspect
Wilfred Mafuka was arrested for allegedly killing Cal Vin. In March 2021, Mafuka gave the Zimbabwe Republic Police a 14-day ultimatum to take him to court or release his car which was impounded as part of the investigations.
In a tweet in October 2020, Police said Wilfred Mafuka handed himself over to them, in connection with the hit and run accident. Mafuka, was later reportedly ‘exonerated’, but police said investigations were on course and that he still had a case to answer.
Cal_Vin had a two-year-old daughter, Khloe.
- Year of The Vin
- 1. I.T.P.O.G
- 2. They Don't Know
- 3. Empumelelo (feat. Mj Sings)
- 4. Bona
- 5. King
- 6. Ngigcwale Ngawe
- 7. Kwesami (feat. Orthodox S.I.X)
- 8. Zkhuphani (feat. Cassper Nyovest)
- 9. Interlude
- 10. What Are We to Do (feat. Guluva Seven)
- 11. Ngenela (feat. Mj Sings)
- 12. Samadlwane (feat. Mai)
- 13. All over the World
- Straight out of Kennel
- Back Pack Season
- New Role Models
- Perfect Balance
- The song Zkhupani was noticed by California based Hollywood makeup artist, Jackie Mgido (who has worked with high profile celebrities namely Denzel Washington, Bill Cosby and Sylvester Stallone among others) to sponsor CAL_VIN's video shoot for the single.
- Cal_Vin's single Zkhupani got an endorsement from fellow South African rapper Casper Nyovest who publicly aired his acknowledgment on Twitter.
- Sipho Mabuza, Rapper Cal_Vin killed in Bulawayo hit and run incident, ZimLive, Published: 25 October 2020, Retrieved: 25 Oct 2020
- Cal Vin suspected killer gives police 14-day ultimatum… “Release my vehicle or take me to court”, Fokus, Published: March 9, 2021, Retrieved: July 27, 2021