|Born||December 20, 1959|
|Known for||Being a lawyer and politician|
Godwills Masimirembwa was born on 20 December 1959.
Getting Wife Arrested
In February 2021, Masimirembwa had his wife and children arrested for malicious damage to property in a matrimonial dispute.
Godwills Masimirembwa and Farisai Nando were partners in an unregistered customary union that sired 3 children. In February 2013 the couple terminated their customary union. On 15 March 2013, the couple entered into a Deed of Settlement in which they entered into an agreement to regulate custody, access and maintenance of the couple’s minor children. They also agreed on proprietary rights. The two encountered problems in meeting the terms of the agreement which then prompted Nando to approach the court for purposes of registration of the Deed of Settlement so as to enforce the agreement. Her application was dismissed with costs.
- MSc International Relations (UZ)
- LLB (UZ)
- BL Honours (UZ)
- Magistrates’ and Prosecutors’ Certificate (Ministry of Justice)
- Certificate in Advanced Public Administration (The Royal Society of Arts)
In June 2015, barely a few months after playing a key role in the expulsion of the late Amos Midzi, Masimirembwa was removed from his role as Harare acting provincial chairperson. Masimirembwa who was was accused of factionalism was reduced to just an ordinary card-carrying member.
In December 2015, Godwills Masimirembwa was fired from his post as CMED chairperson amid reports of a tiff between him and the new Transport and Infrastructural Development Minister Dr Joram Gumbo over the reinstatement of the parastatal’s suspended managing director Davison Mhaka. Seymor Mpofu, who was Masimirembwa’s deputy, immediately took over as acting CMED board chair.
Mhaka was suspended in 2014 pending investigations into his role in the botched fuel scam in which the utility lost $3 million after a contracted firm, First Oil, failed to deliver in 2013. The parastatal also suspended fuel manager Mr Brian Manjengwa to facilitate disciplinary measures.
Gumbo wanted Mhaka reinstated before the conclusion of some investigations on the allegations, while Masimirembwa and other board members were protesting the decision. The disciplinary authority led by Retired Justice Simbi Mubako had just finalised deliberating the various charges Mhaka was facing.
Mhaka was found guilty of an act or conduct inconsistent with the fulfilment of the express or implied conditions of his contract of employment.
Robert Mugabe once accused Godwills Masimirembwa of demanding a $6 million bribe from an unnamed Ghanaian company when he was Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation boss. Mugabe ordered his arrest, but Masimirembwa was later spared.
It is alleged Masimirembwa extorted $6 million from a Ghanaian company that sought to invest in the Marange diamond field on a joint venture agreement with ZMDC.
Mugabe reportedly said Masimirembwa and his “group demanded money in cash and created a shelf company that took equity in the diamond mining firm under unclear legal circumstances before astonishingly claiming that the Ghanaians had violated some unspecified Zimbabwean law and threatening them with arrest should they set foot in Zimbabwe.”
- ADMINISTRATION STAFF, Zimbabwe Institute Of Legal Studies, Published: No Date Given, Retrieved: August 24, 2021
- HStvNews, Twitter, Published: February 16, 2021, Retrieved: August 24, 2021
- FARISAI NANDO versus GODWILLS MASIMIREMBWA, Zimlii, Published: No Date Given, Retrieved: August 24, 2021
- Ivan Zhakata, Zanu PF goes digital, The Herald, Published: June 18, 2021, Retrieved: August 24, 2021
- Everson Mushava, Masimirembwa in $6 million scandal, NewsDay, Published: September 18, 2013, Retrieved: August 24, 2021
- Xolisani Ncube, Mujuru tormentors taste own medicine, Nehanda Radio, Published: November 1, 2015, Retrieved: August 24, 2021
- Freeman Razemba, CMED chairman Masimirembwa fired, The Herald, Published: December 23, 2015, Retrieved: August 24, 2021
- Masimirembwa fired, NewsDay, Published: December 22, 2015, Retrieved: August 24, 2021