The name comes from Chief Whange. There is a claim of some affinity with the MaLozi in Barotseland. 
It is home to about 33,210 people.
- David Joseph Mfanyana Kwidini of PF-ZAPU - 29 538 votes.
- Obert Moses Mpofu of Zanu PF - 5 926 votes.
Turnout - 28 340 or 61.97 %
- Cephas Nyoni of MDC with 15 271 votes,
- Jacob Mudenda of Zanu PF with 3 617 votes,
- George Ncube, Independent, with 339 votes,
- Khumbulani Ncube of ZAPU with 384 votes.
Hwange West returned:
- Jealous Sansole of MDC with 15 132 votes,
- Sphiwe Mafuwa of Zanu PF with 2 445 votes,
- Gifton Ndumani of ZAPU with 429 votes.
At approximately 10:27 am on Monday the 6 June 1972, a series of underground explosions at Wankie Number 2 Colliery resulted in 427 fatalities. It remains the deadliest mine accident in this country to date (2022).
- [Chief Information Officer, Lore and Legend of Southern Rhodesia Place Names] (Southern Rhodesia Information Service, Salisbury, 1960) Retrieved 8 November 2021"