Power FM Zimbabwe formerly Radio 3 is one of the best radio stations in the country. It is best known for pioneering the Urban Grooves music under the 75% local content promulgated by Jonathan Moyo in the early 2000s. The station is owned by the Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation (ZBC).
The station mainly targets the youthful audience. It plays chart-topping local jive, pop, funk, rap, reggae, rock and dancehall
Goals and Values
- The station strives to empower Zimbabweans by providing open forums to discuss family, social, political and economic issues affecting them at personal and family and the community at large.
- Learning culture-when we listen from others attentively, we learn from their experiences
- Tolerance-every human being has their own views and so let them come out
- Quality-our radio presenters, listeners and programs will be continuously assessed for quality.
- Emity Smooth
- Sliq Kay
- Tinashe Chikuse
- DJ Scott
In 2008, the station made history by becoming the first to have a 24-hour marathon broadcast on HIV and AIDS. Veteran producer/presenter Leander Kandiero, broadcasted for 24 hours at the same time fasting for the cause of those living with the pandemic. This became an opportunity for Zimbabweans to reflect and talk about the virus.
The station was voted super brand of the year for consecutive three times from 2011 to 2013. According to 2013 Zimbabwe All Media Products (ZAMPS), the station was still at the summit in terms of listenership. It garnered 2 138 221(32%) of the listeners ahead of Star FM, ZIFM and Radio Zimbabwe.
- ZP, ABOUT ZIMPOWERFM, 'Zim Power FM', Published: ND, Retrieved: 25 Apr 2014
- ZB, One Cause for One Nation- with Leander Kandiero on PowerFM, 'Zimbra blog', Published: 1 Dec 2008, Retrieved: 22 Apr 2014
- Power FM remains Top Urban Radio Station, 'NewsDzeZimbabwe', Published: 26 Feb 2013, Retrieved: 25 Apr 2014